Patti LaBelle Slapped With Lawsuit for Allegedly Throwing Water at Toddler
Patti LaBelle finds herself in hot water for allegedly losing her temper. In a lawsuit filed by Kevin and Roseanna Monk on Monday, November 14, the "On My Own" hitmaker was accused of throwing water from a bottle and screaming obscenities at the couple's 18-month-old daughter, Genevieve.
According to the Monks' lawyer Sam Davis, Patti chastised Roseanna in November 2010 for letting her toddler wander around the lobby of an Upper West-side apartment building as she grappled with some luggage and a car seat. "What are you doing letting your kid run around like that?" the singer reportedly asked the pregnant kindergarten teacher.
Sam continued, as quoted by New York Daily News, that Patti then began "screaming at my client, throwing water from a bottle at the mother's face and the baby's face." After Roseanna picked her daughter up, she asked the singer, "Are you happy that this is what you have done to this baby?!" At which point, the "New Attitude" singer "tries to take a swing" at Roseanna.
It was said that Patti's entourage restrained her and shoved her into a waiting car. Meanwhile, the terrified Genevieve started vomiting violently. Roseanna and husband Kevin claimed that the incident caused their child to suffer from personality changes, sleeping disorders and "increased fear of strangers".
The Monks filed a complaint with police after the incident, but no arrests were made. According to Sam, Roseanna had asked Patti for an apology and a donation to a children's cancer charity, but was rebuffed. The lawyer added that the couple filed the lawsuit because "someone's got to teach her even a diva can't attack and frighten and assault regular people in the building."
The Monks' lawsuit came five months after a U.S. Military Academy cadet sued Patti, claiming he was attacked for no reason by the singer's bodyguards while in an airport in Houston. The 67-year-old singer, however, countersued by insisting that the cadet was drunk and using racial slurs as he tried to get into her limousine.
- 'Game of Thrones' Casts First New Addition for Season 7
- P. Diddy Teases Snippet of Cassie's New Single 'Make Up'
- 'Rogue One': Meet C2-B5, New Imperial Droid That Looks Like R2-D2
- Johnny Depp Reconnects With Kate Moss Following Amber Heard Divorce
- Kylie Jenner Surprises Tyga With $300,000 Bentley After His Ferrari Got 'Repossessed'
- Lady GaGa Teases 'Perfect Illusion' Music Video
- Rob Kardashian Reveals He Is Now Diabetes Free
- Britney Spears Recalls Being on 'Awkward' Dates, Says 'Being Famous Doesn't Make You Any Different'