Nickelback Still Scheduled to Perform at Game Despite Lions' Protests
Nickelback risk the chance of being booed or pelted by fans of The Detroit Lions. The rockers reportedly are not favorable to perform at the upcoming Thanksgiving Day game between Lions and Packers at Ford Field.
"We are honored to perform at the United Way halftime show on Thanksgiving Day," Nickelback lead singer Chad Kroeger said in a statement. "We always love playing in Detroit, our fans there have been tremendously supportive of us through the years and we can't wait to come back and celebrate an exciting day for the Lions and the city of Detroit."
Fans of Lions did not want them to perform because the band do not represent Detroit and could be performing for the sole reason of promoting their November 21 album. A petition to scrap them from the list was created on Change.org by Michigan resident Dennis Guttman. It had gained more than 52,000 signatures within eight days.
"This game is nationally televised; do we really want the rest of the U.S. to associate Detroit with Nickelback?" the petition declares. "Detroit is home to so many great musicians and they chose Nickelback?!?!?! Does anyone even like Nickelback? Is this some sort of ploy to get people to leave their seats during halftime to spend money on alcoholic beverages and concessions?"
In addition to Nickelback, the game will feature "American Idol" season 10 runner-up Lauren Alaina singing the national anthem.
- A Little Too Early? Kourtney Kardashian Lets 4-Year-Old Daughter Penelope Wear a Lip Ring
- 'Gossip Girl' Alum Penn Badgley Marries Domino Kirke in Brooklyn Courthouse
- 'Dancing with the Stars': 'Glee' Star Heather Morris Joins Season 24, Some Pairings Are Revealed
- DJ Khaled Films Top Secret Video With Justin Bieber, Chance The Rapper and More
- Oscar Accountants Issue an Apology Over Best Picture Blunder
- Halle Berry Rocks Big Curly Locks at the Academy Awards
- 'Batman v Superman', 'Hillary's America' Are Top Losers at Razzie Awards
- Nicole Kidman Passionately Kisses Keith Urban as He Naughtily Grabs Her Bum on Oscars' Red Carpet