Calle 13 Lead 2011 Latin Grammy Awards by Winning Nine Gramophones
Calle 13 won big at the 12th annual Latin Grammy Awards on Thursday, November 10. The Puerto Rican duo comprised of Eduardo Cabra and Rene Perez bagged a total of nine Golden Gramophones during the star-studded prize-giving event which took place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.
The step brothers, who scored record-breaking 10 nominations this year, collected the kudos in three different genre categories; tropical, alternative and urban; for their latest studio album "Entren Los Que Quieran". Their wins included Best Tropical Song ("Vamo' a Portarnos Mall"), Best Alternative Song and Best Short Form Music Video ("Calma Pueblo").
Backstage, the video's director Alejandro Santiago Ciena said, "We wanted the lyrics and the visuals to be strong." He added, "We wanted it to be real, but still have a positive message to the show the union of people who fight to produce art." The clip included people stripping off their clothes and running in the nude around the town as an expression of freedom.
Calle kicked off the biggest night in Latin music industry by performing "Latinoamerica", a song which was nominated for Record and Song of the Year. The performance was dedicated to "all the viewers who are watching us so they can be transported to their barrios, their streets, their roots...and that they feel it here in the heart," Rene said on behalf of the band.
Special honoree at the event was Shakira. The "Hips Don't Lie" hitmaker was presented with Latin Grammys Person of the Year by fellow Colombian artist Sofia Vergara. The blonde singer said, "What better than to receive it from Sofia, we lived closed to each other in Barranquilla, (Colombia) that's what people don't know. This is without a doubt one of the most important moments of my life."
Prior to receiving the special award, Shakira was honored at a tribute dinner which was held on Wednesday night. One of the performers at the pre-show included Franco De Vita who won Best Long Form Music Video during the main event. "I want to thank my fans, the fans of Venezuela," she said when accepting the trophy. "Now we have won, Venezuela!"
Winner list for 2011 Latin Grammy Awards can be obtained on its official website.
Green Carpet Arrivals:
- 'American Horror Story': Ryan Murphy Shares Photo of 'Cult' Member. Is It Evan Peters?
- Secretly Married? Liam Payne Calls Cheryl His 'Wife' in New Interview
- Comic-Con: 'Ready Player One' First Footage Introduces Stepen Spielberg's VR Dystopia
- 'Psychopath' Sulli Gets Blasted for Biting Her Cat
- New Romance? Shirtless Justin Bieber Enjoys Romantic Hike With This Model
- Comic-Con: 'Westworld' Season 2 Trailer Is Violence Galore
- Pics: Emily Ratajkowski Goes Topless, Parades Impressive Bum in Thong Bikini
- Song Joong Ki Reveals He Told Song Hye Kyo to Announce Their Wedding Due to Groundless Rumors