'Hunger Games' Secures Global Deals, Full Trailer to Debut on 'GMA'
Lionsgate has secured international markets for "The Hunger Games" including that of China. The action thriller starring Jennifer Lawrence is one of the 20 U.S. movies approved by the Chinese government each year to get cinematic viewing.
Lionsgate co-COO Joe Drake said on Thursday, November 9 that international distributors were "absolutely ecstatic" over footage and trailer shown during a recent meeting held by the studio for licensees at the American Film Market. "We were able to carve very favorable deals. Not only did we sell the title well, to help mitigate some risk, but we have enormous upside," he said.
During the meeting, Drake also discussed with the executives about the day and date for global release. Aiming for March 2012 release, "Hunger Games" is expected to bring profits for the studio which has suffered loss in recent year for "Conan the Barbarian", "Warrior" and "Abduction".
The first of the planned trilogy adaptations is set for U.S. release on March 23, 2012. Drake said that it will not screen on IMAX theaters but large format theaters owned and operated by major exhibition chains will screen it.
On another news, first full trailer of the movie will be released on Monday, November 14 on "Good Morning America" with introduction from cast Josh Hutcherson. Lionsgate has also announced that the trailer will play on a jumbotron over New York City's Times Square.
- Watch Ariana Grande and Bruno Mars Perform at Star-Studded We Can Survive Concert
- Kim Kardashian Angry at Beyonce for Not Reaching Out to Her After Paris Robbery
- Kim Zolciak Criticized for Posting Inappropriate Photo of 2-Year-Old Daughter Kaia
- New 'Game of Thrones' Photos Confirm the Highly Anticipated Meet-Up
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Steps Out in Full Islamic Dress
- Charlie Puth Cancels the Rest of His Tour Dates Because He's 'Extremely Sick'
- Chris Hemsworth Shoots Down Split Reports With Cheeky Instagram Post
- Kim Kardashian Said She Could 'Handle' Social Media Days Before She Got Robbed