'Hunger Games' Secures Global Deals, Full Trailer to Debut on 'GMA'
Lionsgate has secured international markets for "The Hunger Games" including that of China. The action thriller starring Jennifer Lawrence is one of the 20 U.S. movies approved by the Chinese government each year to get cinematic viewing.
Lionsgate co-COO Joe Drake said on Thursday, November 9 that international distributors were "absolutely ecstatic" over footage and trailer shown during a recent meeting held by the studio for licensees at the American Film Market. "We were able to carve very favorable deals. Not only did we sell the title well, to help mitigate some risk, but we have enormous upside," he said.
During the meeting, Drake also discussed with the executives about the day and date for global release. Aiming for March 2012 release, "Hunger Games" is expected to bring profits for the studio which has suffered loss in recent year for "Conan the Barbarian", "Warrior" and "Abduction".
The first of the planned trilogy adaptations is set for U.S. release on March 23, 2012. Drake said that it will not screen on IMAX theaters but large format theaters owned and operated by major exhibition chains will screen it.
On another news, first full trailer of the movie will be released on Monday, November 14 on "Good Morning America" with introduction from cast Josh Hutcherson. Lionsgate has also announced that the trailer will play on a jumbotron over New York City's Times Square.
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors
- Julia Roberts to Play PTA Mom Framed for Drug Possession in True-Story Movie
- Pippa Middleton's Private Photos Stolen After Her iCloud Got Hacked