Heavy D Dies After Collapsing Outside Home, Stars Mourn the Loss
Another Hip-Hop legend has gone too soon. Rapper Heavy D died on Tuesday, November 8 afternoon after collapsing outside his Beverly Hills home. He was rushed to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 12:08 P.M, L.A. County Chief Coroner Craig Harvey detailed.
"I can confirm that he died today," Harvey told PEOPLE. "He was transported from a residence in Beverly Hills and was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead in the emergency room. The cause of death is yet to be determined; we're investigating it now. We do know that he last saw his doctor two weeks ago."
TMZ, which was the first to report about the rapper's death, detailed that a 911 call was made from the 400 block of Maple Drive at 11:25 A.M. to report an unconscious male on the walkway. It was further detailed that the man was conscious and able to communicate when paramedics arrived. He, however, complained about having trouble breathing.
As soon as news of Heavy D's death surfaced, condolences poured in from the Hip-Hop community as well as Hollywood stars. Ne-Yo, Nicki Minaj, Usher, The Game, Alyssa Milano and Samuel L. Jackson were some of them taking to Twitter to express grief over the loss.
Ne-Yo wrote, "Man. I was just with Heavy D recently in London. Had I known it'd be the last time I'd see him, I woulda told him he was truly great. RIP..." Meanwhile, Nicki tweeted, "We'll never forget you babe!...His BET Hip Hop Awards performance seems so much more special now. Thanks BET."
Usher mourned by posting, "This is too heavy, I can't believe it. HEAVY D was just here. Truly gone too soon. My heart and support goes out to his family. R.I.P HEAVY." The Game wrote in his account, "Last tweet of the day: Rest In Paradise to a GOOD FRIEND & legendary hip hop icon Dwight Arrington 'Heavy D' Myers. Damn life sometimes !!! "
Alyssa, meanwhile, remembered the rapper by his advice to her. "Heavy D gave me advice when I was pregnant. He said, 'Cherish every single moment. It goes by way too fast'. Rest in peace, Heavy D," she shared. And, Samuel reacted, "Ahhh man! Heavy D?! Dwight wz a dear friend. Fond memories of a truly cool brutha."
- Justin Timberlake Votes Early but He Lands in Trouble for Taking Ballot Selfie
- 'Walking Dead' Slammed by Parents TV Council Over Brutal Deaths
- Amber Rose Cozying Up to 'DWTS' Pro Val Chmerkovskiy at Her Birthday Party
- Fans Petition 'Deadpool 2' to Hire Quentin Tarantino After Tim Miller's Exit
- It's Not a Perfect Illusion. Lady GaGa Exposes Bare Crotch in Super Tiny Shorts
- Watch President Obama's Perfect Response to Donald Trump's Mean Tweet
- Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Are 'Getting Serious' as She Finalizes Divorce From Lamar Odom
- New 'John Wick: Chapter Two' Images Reveal Bruce Lee's 'Enter the Dragon'-Inspired Setting