Jose Padilha Reveals 'RoboCop' Remake May Be Similar to Original Version
"RoboCop" is currently still in the writing stages of development, but director Jose Padilha has revealed several details relating to the forthcoming remake movie. To IGN, the Brazilian filmmaker shared that his upcoming sci-fi film project will have the same elements from the original "RoboCop" film, which was directed by Paul Verhoeven.
"Verhoeven made that film in the '80s, and it was brilliant," so the 44-year-old filmmaker said. "I think some of the humor and the way he dealt with the satire in that film, it's pretty much needed today, don't you think? We've gotta keep that [humor], by all means."
Padilha further revealed that he will adapt his remake film primarily from the first "RoboCop" movie. "I think [the original film] is way better than the other ones. As far as grounding our approach in 'RoboCop', we are doing it with the first movie. The first movie is the thing for me, you know?"
During the chat, Padilha also admitted that he still has no idea whether motion capture will be involved, but claimed that he will not let the special effect obstacles get in the way of a good story. "The way that I sort of direct the writers is, let's do the best story we can," he explained.
"Let's not worry about production issues. 'How much will that cost? How are we going to shoot that?' Let's not set up those constraints on the writing," he added. "I don't think it helps the project to work like that."
"RoboCop" was first introduced to Hollywood by Verhoeven in 1987. The story revolves around a cop who is brought back from the brink of death in the form of a cyborg with no memories of his prior life. The upcoming remake, meanwhile, is written by Josh Zetumer. Mike Medavoy, Arnold Messer, Brad Fischer and David Thwaites are serving as the producers.
- Calvin Harris Announces New Single Featuring Pharrell, Ariana Grande and Young Thug
- New Boyfriend? Ellie Goulding Spotted Getting Cozy With Athlete Caspar Jopling
- 'The Flash' 3.19 Preview: Meet Future Barry Allen
- Natalie Portman Will Portray Bull Rider in 'Bronco Belle'
- 'The Voice' Battle Round Night 4: Coaches Round Out Teams of 8. See Who Makes the Cut!
- Missing His Family? Brad Pitt 'Secretly Joined' Angelina Jolie and Kids on Recent Cambodia Trip
- First Gloomy Footage of 'Annihilation' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- 'Bones' Showrunner on Series Finale: 'It's the End, but It's Not the End'