MTV EMAs 2011: Lady GaGa and Justin Bieber Win Big
Lady GaGa and Justin Bieber scooped multiple coveted prizes during the star-studded ceremony of 2011 MTV Europe Music Awards on Sunday night, November 6. The Mother Monster dominated the winner list by grabbing four kudos, while the Canadian popstar trailed behind her by taking home two gongs.
GaGa accepted Best Female from Hayden Panettiere that night, beating Adele, Beyonce Knowles, Jennifer Lopez and Katy Perry. Wearing a bizarre silver dress and concealing her face under an oversized tilted hat, the outlandish singer said, "Thank you so much, I love you so much. I'm so grateful. I'm really smiling right now, but I know you can't tell."
The New Yorker was also honored with Best Song, thanks to her single "Born This Way". She pushed aside Bruno Mars and Jennifer Lopez, and once again beat Adele and Katy. Upon accepting the award, she gushed, "I knew that this song was very special when I wrote it." She added, "I just didn't know how special it would be. I love you Little Monsters, until the end!"
GaGa brought a total of four kudos by collecting Best Video for "Born This Way", and winning Biggest Fans. The Grammy-winning singer got the former prize after battling Adele, Beyonce, Beastie Boys as well as Justice. She, meanwhile, received the latter honor after going head to head against Bieber, 30 Seconds to Mars, Paramore and Selena Gomez.
Although losing Biggest Fans to GaGa, Bieber got a sweet revenge by taking down the Monster ringleader in Best Pop. The "Mistletoe" singer additionally beat such seniors as Katy, Britney Spears and Rihanna. He accepted his second gong by winning Best Male over Mars, David Guetta, Eminem and Kanye West. Brushing off love-child rumor, Bieber said, "There's been a lot of crap on the internet lately."
2011 EMAs was held in Belfast, Northern Ireland with Bieber's girlfriend Selena serving as a host. The other winners included Eminem (Best Hip Hop), Linkin Park (Best Rock), Katy (Best Live), and Britney (Best North American Act). Mars and 30 Seconds also didn't walk home empty-handed for they managed to score not just one but two awards. The former got Best New Act and Best Push Act, while the latter received Best Alternative and Best World Stage.
The show was made merry by live performances from the winners like GaGa, Bieber and Mars. Special honoree Queen, who were given Global Icon, entertained star-studded audience as well by closing the event with Adam Lambert. The other performers were Coldplay, Jessie J, LMFAO, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Snow Patrol.
- Best Female: Lady GaGa
- Best Male: Justin Bieber
- Best Pop: Justin Bieber
- Best Song: Lady GaGa - "Born This Way"
- Best Rock: Linkin Park
- Best Video: Lady GaGa - "Born This Way"
- Biggest Fans: Lady GaGa
- Best Alternative: 30 Seconds to Mars
- Best Hip Hop Eminem
- Best World Stage: 30 Seconds to Mars
- Best Push: Bruno Mars
- Best New: Bruno Mars
- Global Icon: Queen
- Best North American Act: Britney Spears
- Best Worldwide: Big Bang
More Lady GaGa News
- 'Carpool Karaoke': Lady GaGa Is Novice Driver, James Corden Tries on Her Infamous Costumes
- Shia LaBeouf Is a Marine With PTSD in 'Man Down' Teaser Trailer
- Rihanna Sends Taylor Swift a Warning After Pop Diva Spent Her Night Partying With Drake
- Ray J Teams Up With Chris Brown for Kanye West 'Famous' Response
- Here's Why Ryan Reynolds Disagrees With Tim Miller's 'More Stylish' Version of 'Deadpool 2'
- Taylor Kinney Already Moves on After Lady GaGa Split. Who's His New Girlfriend?
- What Breakup? Katie Holmes and Jamie Foxx Are 'Still Together' Despite Split Rumors
- We'll Miss You, Toby! 'Pretty Little Liars' Star and Creator Say Goodbye to Keegan Allen