Tiger Woods Fell Victim to Racial Slur From Ex-Caddie
An ex-caddie of Tiger Woods apologizes after making racist remarks about the golfer during an awards dinner in Shanghai, China. Steve Williams was fired by Woods in July and he described the feeling after his new boss, golfer Adam Scott, beat Woods during an event in August. He said, "I wanted to shove it up that black ---."
Williams has since apologized for his remarks, writing on his website, "I apologize for comments I made last night at the Annual Caddy Awards dinner in Shanghai. Players and caddies look forward to this evening all year and the spirit is always joking and fun. I now realize how my comments could be construed as racist. However I assure you that was not my intent. I sincerely apologize to Tiger and anyone else I have offended."
Woods remains mum about William's comment. He is busy preparing for the President Cups event in Melbourne, Australia. But his agent Mark Steinberg said in a statement, "I was with Tiger when the story broke. We were obviously not there, but if all the reports are accurate, it is regrettable. Really nothing more to say."
Williams' current employer would not make the case go any bigger. "Steve issued a statement and apologized, and he did the right thing. That's all there is to say about that from my side of things," Scott said. "It's not an issue for me. I think everything in that room last night was all in good spirits and a bit of fun, and I think it probably got taken out of that room in the wrong context."
"Anything with Tiger involved is a story. I value Steve's contribution to my game and while he's caddying I hope he can caddy for me. There was a lot of language used last night and it's just this was reported. I don't really think that stuff has ever left the room before and it's probably good reasons why. I think it's probably all very unnecessary."
More Tiger Woods News
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
- J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked