'60 Minutes' Andy Rooney Died After Complications
Only weeks after he retired from "60 Minutes", Andy Rooney left the world for good. The commentator for the CBS show for 32 years died at the age of 92 on Friday, November 4 night in a New York hospital.
CBS released an official statement regarding the death, saying Rooney died following "complications from minor surgery." Jeff Fager, chairman of CBS News and the executive producer of "60 Minutes" said, "It's a sad day at '60 Minutes' and for everybody here at CBS News. It's hard to imagine not having Andy around. He loved his life and he lived it on his own terms. We will miss him very much."
Rooney retired from his position at CBS last month. He joined the network in 1949 as part of Arthur Godfrey's radio and TV shows. He began doing weekly commentaries on "60 Minutes" in 1978. In his last commentary on October 2 episode, he admitted that he was a lucky man and warned his viewers not to approach him in public and return the compliment because "I hate that."
"Words cannot adequately express Andy's contribution to journalism and the impact he made upon everyone at CBS," said CBS president and CEO Les Moonves. "His wry wit, his unique ability to capture the essence of any issues and his larger-than-life personality made him an icon. We treasure the legacy he left."
Rooney is survived by his four children, Brian, Emily, Martha and Ellen. His wife of 62 years, Marguerite died in 2009.
- Chris Brown Is Released on $250K Bail, Lawyer Calls Assault Allegations 'Demonstrably False'
- Daniel Craig Goes Blonde for His Villain Role in 'Logan Lucky'
- Tyga Has His Ferrari Repossessed While Bentley Shopping With Kylie Jenner
- 'The Flash' Teases Flashpoint Storyline in First Official Images From Season 3
- Halsey Flashes Her Bare Crotch as She Ditches Panties for a VMA After-Party
- Marvel Developing 'New Warriors' Comedy Series Featuring Squirrel Girl
- Mark Hamill Shaves His Jedi Beard and Hints at His Return to 'Star Wars Episode IX'
- 'Supergirl' Casts Superman Villain Metallo for Season 2