Michelle Williams: Marilyn Monroe Approves Me to Star in 'My Week with Marilyn'
Michelle Williams believes that she's got a blessing from the late Marilyn Monroe to star in "My Week with Marilyn". Although Monroe had already passed away almost 50 years ago, the 31-year-old actress knew that the iconic Hollywood beauty was happy with her acting in the drama.
Explaining the reason why, Williams told E! News, "While we were filming, something came out in the National Enquirer that a psychic had spoken to her [Monroe] and that she approved of what we were doing and she thought I was doing a really good job." She gushed, "So maybe she likes it!"
Williams has been receiving positive reviews from critics who said that she nailed Monroe's vocal style in "My Week with Marilyn". Of the secret behind it, the former "Dawson's Creek" star revealed, "I studied tapes."
"There's really nothing that exists of her, that I could find anyway, that exists of her having a conversation with a friend... ," Williams added. "So there wasn't a template that existed for her everyday vocal pattern, so at a certain point you have to make it imaginatively."
In a different interview on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show", that will air on Friday, October 28, Williams shared about how she worked hard to star as Monroe in the movie. "As soon as I said yes, I spent the next six months trying to talk myself out of it because it was just so daunting," she said.
"I was never really a very good student. I didn't go to school for a terribly long time. I think I'm making up for it now. I worked so hard. I read all the books. I watched the movies. I was obsessed with her," added Williams. "I woke up with her every morning and I went to bed with her every night, in a way."
"My Week with Marilyn" is based on Colin Clark's diaries. The story follows the interaction between Monroe and Laurence Olivier while they were filming 1956 movie "The Prince and the Showgirl". At that time, Monroe spent a week in London accompanied by Clark after her husband left her during their honeymoon.
After being screened at New York Film Festival earlier this October, "My Week with Marilyn" will open in limited U.S. theaters on November 23. Directed by Simon Curtis, the drama also stars Emma Watson, Dominic Cooper, Eddie Redmayne, Judi Dench, Kenneth Branagh and Julia Ormond.
- P. Diddy Squashes Breakup Rumors With a Super Sweet Birthday Message for Cassie
- Does 'American Horror Story' Reveal the Murder Weapon in This New Season 6 Teaser?
- Taylor Swift Sports Bigger Breasts in Tight Crop-Top. Did She Really Get a Boob Job?
- Get Your First Glimpse of Tom Hardy in Christopher Nolan's WWII Film 'Dunkirk'
- Miley Cyrus Sports New Gold Band on Ring Finger. Is She Secretly Married to Liam Hemsworth?
- Jennifer Lopez Posts Cryptic Message After Breakup as Casper Smart Is Reportedly Still in Denial
- Is Britney Spears' 'Glory' Track 'Liar' About Ex Justin Timberlake?
- Donald Glover Addresses Lando Casting Rumor in Han Solo Movie