Rihanna Comes Under Fire Over 'We Found Love' Music Video
"We Found Love" music video, which is filled with explicit materials including drug use and violence, has landed Rihanna in hot water. An anti-rape organization slams the Barbados singer, accusing her of visualizing woman as "an object to be possessed by men."
"Rihanna's new video is a disgrace," Eileen Kelly of the Rape Crisis Centre voices her complaint to the Daily Star. "It sends the message that she is an object to be possessed by men, which is disturbingly what we see in real violence cases."
Riri hasn't responded to the criticism, but the director Melina Matsoukas already slammed any claims suggesting they're glorifying abusive relationship even before the protest arose. "We love, obviously, to do provocative imagery," she told MTV. "I think because, in the end, it's not really at all about domestic violence."
"It's really just about it being toxic, and they're on this drug trip and that definitely plays a part, but I think it's also about being triumphant over those weaknesses, and she leaves him. It's not trying to glorify that type of relationship. The bad parts of it, that's what you don't want. In the end, her leaving, it represents her getting that out of her life."
The "We Found Love" music video featured Dudley O'Shaughnessy as Riri's love interest. The video's gritty content and Dudley's resemblance to Chris Brown sparked speculation that the singer tried to re-enact her doomed relationship with Breezy.
More Rihanna News
- Another Dig at Zayn Malik? Listen to Little Mix's Catchy New Track 'You Gotta Not'
- Cuteness Overload! Chrissy Teigen Dresses Daughter Luna as Banana, Minnie Mouse and Others
- Daisy Ridley Responds to 'Sexist' Claims That Rey Is Mary Sue in 'The Force Awakens'
- Amber Heard Reportedly Dating a Musician After Johnny Depp Split. Who's Her New Man?
- NBC Announces Next Live Musical 'Bye Bye Birdie' Starring Jennifer Lopez
- Iggy Azalea's Former Fiance Nick Young Welcomes Baby No. 2 With His Other Ex
- Felicity Jones Leads the Rebel Alliance in New 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Pic
- Is Mariah Carey's 'Close Relationship' With a Male Dancer to Blame for James Packer Split?