'The Dark Tower' TV Series May Air on HBO
Although Universal Pictures recently dropped "The Dark Tower", the project is still very much alive with a network agreeing to be a part of the super-sized franchise. Producer Brian Grazer recently revealed that HBO is on board to air the TV series version.
"We're going to do ['The Dark Tower'] with HBO," the filmmaker said at the "Tower Heist" press junket last weekend. He, however, hinted that they have not found a new studio to replace Universal for the movie adaptation, saying, "We'll do the TV with HBO, and we'll do the movie with... to be determined. We'll do it right."
Grazer is optimistic that the project will be happening because he and co-producer Ron Howard have been able to reduce the film's budget. "We're going to do that movie. We've lost $45 million out of the budget. When people say no to you enough, then you have to lose money, which we've done without harming the scope of the film," he said, adding that Javier Bardem is still on board to portray gunslinger Roland Deshain.
"The Dark Tower", which is based on Stephen King's fantasy series, was initially planned to be made into three films with the TV series filling the gap between each movie. Howard has been attached to direct the first film and the first season of a tie-in television series.
The first feature film version was originally expected to be released in 2013, but Universal bailed out the project in July this year due to budgetary issues.
More The Dark Tower News
- Tyra Banks Accused of Abusing a Girl on 'America's Got Talent'
- Kanye West Is 'Humiliated' by Kim Kardashian's Deflated Butt
- Fergie Signs With BMG After Quitting Interscope
- Celine Dion, J.Lo, Mariah Carey and Backstreet Boys Will Not Cancel Vegas Shows Despite ISIS Threat
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Enjoy Night Out in Cannes
- Kourtney Kardashian and Younes Bendjima Enjoying 'Wild Sex' in Cannes
- Mariah Carey Is Slammed by Co-Star for Alleged 'Bananas' Behaviour on 'The House' Filming Set
- Super Junior's Kyuhyun Begins Mandatory Military Service