'Paranormal Activity 3' Breaks Box Office Record in Opening Week
"Paranormal Activity 3" successfully tops the North American box office on its debut weekend. Though receiving a "C+" CinemaScore, the horror movie surpasses expectations by earning $54 million, making it the best opening of all time for a horror movie. It also scores the biggest October debut ever, knocking down last year's "Jackass 3D" which grossed $50.4 million.
The R-rated horror appeals to mostly younger audience, with 53% of them being under the age of 25. Rob Moore, the vice chairman of Paramount Pictures, praises producers and directors of "PA3" for having done a great job to make another hit. He adds that the fourth movie is currently in the works, believing that "people certainly continue to be very interested in the franchise."
"Real Steel", in the meantime, drops to the second spot with $11.3 million after securing the champ title for two weeks in a row. On the third place, there is dance movie "Footloose" which collects $10.8 million for the total cume of $30.9 million.
Milla Jovovich and Orlando Bloom's adventure pic "The Three Musketeers" lands on number four on its opening weekend. Despite the "B" CinemaScore given to it, the big-budget film only rakes in $8.8. million. The movie attracts older moviegoers, with 64% of them over the age of 25.
"The Ides of March" rounds up the top five with $4.9 million, dropping 30% from last week. Meanwhile, "Johnny English Reborn" fails to enter the top five on its opening weekend. The newcomer lands on the eighth place with $3.8 million despite the "B" CinemaScore received by the Rowan Atkinson-starring action comedy.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for October 21 - 23:
- "Paranormal Activity 3" - $54 million
- "Real Steel" - $11.3 million
- "Footloose" - $10.8 million
- "The Three Musketeers" - $8.8 million
- "The Ides of March" - $4.9 million
- "Dolphin Tale" - $4.2 million
- "Moneyball" - $4 million
- "Johnny English Reborn" - $3.8 million
- "The Thing" - $3.1 million
- "50/50" - $2.8 million
- Free the Nipples! Jennifer Aniston Ditches Her Bra Again During NYC Outing
- Yikes! Khloe Kardashian Lived With The Game, and Some Other Men, When She Was a Teen
- Joe Perry: Aerosmith's Farewell Tour Is Simply 'an Option'
- Anna Kendrick: 'I'd Be Terrible at Being Like Taylor Swift'
- This Is Your First Look at Gillian Anderson on 'American Gods'
- Tyga Caught With Mystery Blonde Following Kylie Jenner Reunion
- Demi Lovato Flaunts Her Naked Butt in Promotional Images for 'Body Say'
- Jonah Hill and Miles Teller Are Pro Money in New 'War Dogs' Trailer