Universal Music Denies Claim That Scotty McCreery Flubbed National Anthem
Scotty McCreery didn't change the lyrics of "Star-Spangled Banner" when singing at World Series Game 1, so Universal Music Group Nashville says. The label fights report that the "American Idol" winner flubbed the national anthem at the October 19 event, stating "This is nonsense."
"We heard him sing the song live and have seen a taped version of his performance several times. He sang the lyrics correctly as they were written by Francis Scott Key," the company issues statement to Lifeline Live. "And we would bet most folks with a Southern accent would agree with us."
Scotty belted out the patriotic song before the Texas Rangers faced off the Cardinals last Wednesday. The "I Love You This Big" hitmaker opened the game with brief awkward silence due to mic malfunction, but he started over his performance smoothly soon after the problem was fixed.
Media quickly took a note that the lyrics Scotty sang sounded a bit different, prompting rumor that he flubbed the national anthem. The lyrics were supposed to be "O say does that Star-Spangled banner yet wave...," but he sounded to sing "No Jose does that ...." First Lady Michelle Obama was present at the game.
Scotty himself hasn't responded to the rumor. Instead, he wrote on Twitter, "Well, as mr George Strait would say, I wasn't here for a long time, but I was here for a good time! Great time in St. Louis yesterday!" A few hours before, he posted, "I am sooo pumped to be singing the anthem tonight!"
Regardless of the talk surrounding his "Star-Spangled Banner", Scotty actually had made sure he didn't make any mistake. "I am practicing every day," the 18-year-old country music told Zap2It. "My mom's making me write down the lyrics on a piece of paper. And that's how I study. That's the way to learn."
For the next three upcoming games at the World Series, Major League Baseball has just announced musical acts who will sing the national anthem. Trace Adkins will do the honor at the Game 2 on Friday night, Ronnie Dunn will perform at the Game 3 on the following day, and Zooey Deschanel will sing at the Game 4 on Sunday.
- Anne Hathaway's Dress at 'Colossal' Premiere Is So Awkward She Couldn't Sit in It
- Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye May Appear in 'Ant-Man and the Wasp'
- Blac Chyna Believes That Rob Kardashian and Tyga Are Tag Teaming Against Her
- Saucy! Rita Ora Goes Braless as She Flashes Her Nipple Pasties in Sheer Top
- Little Mix Channels Inner Cowgirls in Music Video for 'No More Sad Songs' Ft. Machine Gun Kelly
- A Party Fit for Mother Monster! Get Details of Lady GaGa's Star-Studded Birthday Bash
- Jennifer Lawrence and Darren Aronofsky Are Getting More Serious, Despite Their 22-Year Age Gap
- Listen to Selena Gomez's Moody 'Only You' Cover for '13 Reasons Why'