Confirmed, Anne Hathaway Cast as Fantine in 'Les Miserables'
Anne Hathaway is officially tapped to star in "Les Miserables". The actress, who will appear as Catwoman in highly anticipated superhero film "The Dark Knight Rises", has nabbed the coveted role of Fantine, a Parisian grisette who is abandoned with a small child by her lover Felix Tholomyes.
Rumors that Hathaway will join the Broadway adaptation first emerged in August. She was reportedly recommended by Hugh Jackman, who was at that time had already been cast to play leading man Jean Valjean. Another actor who has been lined up for the musical film is Russell Crowe who will portray Javert, a fanatic police inspector.
Based on Victor Hugo's novel of the same title, "Les Miserables" centers on the struggle by ex-con Valjean to outrun his past and his relentless pursuer Javert. The original play was opened in London back in 1985. It featured popular songs like "I Dreamed a Dream" and "Bring Him Home".
More A-listers have reportedly been rumored to join the movie project. Words are, Geoffrey Rush is considered to star as Thenardier, and Helena Bonham Carter is eyed to play Madame Thenardier. Hayden Panettiere, Lucy Hale and Emma Watson are also listed as the candidates for either Eponine or Cosette.
The movie will be directed by "The King's Speech" helmer Tom Hooper, with William Nicholson penning the script. Universal Pictures has scheduled the film to be released on December 7, 2012, just in time for next year's Oscar race.
- 'True Blood' Alum Stephen Moyer Lands Lead Role on FOX's 'X-Men' Series Pilot
- Mariah Carey's Boobs Almost Spill Out of Her Plunging Dress at Vanity Fair's Oscars Party
- Selena Gomez and The Weeknd Go for a Date Night in Paris as Bella Hadid Parties Just Blocks Away
- Russell Crowe May Portray Cable in 'Deadpool 2'
- Keyshia Cole Punishes Cheating Boyfriend in 'You' Music Video Ft. Remy Ma and French Montana
- Vera Farmiga Set to Star as Millie Bobby Brown's On-Screen Mother in 'Godzilla 2'
- Lorde Teases Upcoming Music With Mysterious Ad
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Premiere: Gwen Stefani Returns as Coach and Wins the First Four-Way Battle