Colin Farrell, Elton John Pay Tribute to Elizabeth Taylor at Private Memorial Service
It is almost seven months since Elizabeth Taylor died of congestive heart failure, but close friends and family are still keeping her memory alive. On Sunday, October 16, Colin Farrell, Elton John and nearly 400 other guests gathered together at a private memorial held at the Steven J. Ross Theater on the Warner Bros. lot in Burbank, California.
The service lasted for about 75-minute long with Colin serving as host. Actor Michael Caine and Liz's stepdaugher Kate Burton were among the speakers who paid tribute to her life and career, while director Mike Nichols contributed a video message, and grandson Rhys Tivey played "Amazing Grace" on the trumpet.
Elton closed the program with a rendition of "Blue Eyes". In remembrance of the late actress, the 64-year-old singer told guests, "To say that the world got smaller, emptier, darker and lonelier when we lost Elizabeth is an understatement. She was a true rock, a pioneer, a pathfinder, a trailblazer and a star who will always burn bright and always had time to laugh at herself."
The private memorial also featured tributes to Liz's life outside of Hollywood. They included the three-time Oscar winner's life as a businesswoman with her fragrance White Diamonds as well as her work as an HIV/AIDS advocate with clips of her lobbying in Washington, D.C., in the early '80s being played.
To PEOPLE, Liz's son Michael said, "My mother was an extraordinary woman whose life touched so many, most of whom we will never know. Our whole family is extremely proud of her accomplishments, and know what a unique and special experience it was to have her in our lives. Today, it was especially meaningful for us to be with so many good friends to celebrate her spirit, which will be with us forever."
- Six Shortest Celebrity Marriages
- Dating for Nine Months, Drew Barrymore Is Set to Wed for the Fourth Time
- So Cool! Watch Lee Joon Gi Do His Own Dangerous Stunt for 'Criminal Minds'
- Goo Hara Is Accused of Smoking Marijuana After Posting a Photo of Hand-Rolled Cigarette
- Chrissy Teigen Is Blocked by Donald Trump After Posting This on Twitter
- Rick Ross Won't Sign Female Rapper to His Label as He Will 'End Up F**king' Her
- Amber Rose Reveals Kanye West Almost Caused Her to Commit Suicide After Their Breakup
- Full-Length Trailer for 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' Re-Release Unleashed