Hilary Swank 'Deeply Regret' Attending Accused Torturer's Party
Hilary Swank has expressed her regret of partying with accused torturer. The "Million Dollar Baby" star was among celebrities who attended Chenchen Republic president Ramzan Kadyrov's 35th birthday party on October 5 in Grozny, Chechnya.
Swank was slammed for taking part in the celebration because Human Rights Foundation has listed Kadyrov as someone "accused of using torture, causing disappearances, and authorizing extrajudicial executions" since taking office in 2007.
The actress wished the leader a "Happy Birthday" on-stage and said that she Swank admired his "passion to make peace and to make something beautiful".
Swank claimed she was unaware of Kadyrov's alleged connection to human rights violations. "I deeply regret attending this event," she wrote a statement to the Associated Press. "If I had a full understanding of what this event was apparently intended to be, I would never have gone."
Jean-Claude Van Damme and Vanessa Mae also attended the birthday party but they have yet to comment. Van Damme was heard as saying, "I love you, Mr. Kadyrov" at the party.
- Chris Brown Is Released on $250K Bail, Lawyer Calls Assault Allegations 'Demonstrably False'
- Daniel Craig Goes Blonde for His Villain Role in 'Logan Lucky'
- Tyga Has His Ferrari Repossessed While Bentley Shopping With Kylie Jenner
- 'The Flash' Teases Flashpoint Storyline in First Official Images From Season 3
- Halsey Flashes Her Bare Crotch as She Ditches Panties for a VMA After-Party
- Marvel Developing 'New Warriors' Comedy Series Featuring Squirrel Girl
- Mark Hamill Shaves His Jedi Beard and Hints at His Return to 'Star Wars Episode IX'
- 'Supergirl' Casts Superman Villain Metallo for Season 2