Hilary Swank 'Deeply Regret' Attending Accused Torturer's Party
Hilary Swank has expressed her regret of partying with accused torturer. The "Million Dollar Baby" star was among celebrities who attended Chenchen Republic president Ramzan Kadyrov's 35th birthday party on October 5 in Grozny, Chechnya.
Swank was slammed for taking part in the celebration because Human Rights Foundation has listed Kadyrov as someone "accused of using torture, causing disappearances, and authorizing extrajudicial executions" since taking office in 2007.
The actress wished the leader a "Happy Birthday" on-stage and said that she Swank admired his "passion to make peace and to make something beautiful".
Swank claimed she was unaware of Kadyrov's alleged connection to human rights violations. "I deeply regret attending this event," she wrote a statement to the Associated Press. "If I had a full understanding of what this event was apparently intended to be, I would never have gone."
Jean-Claude Van Damme and Vanessa Mae also attended the birthday party but they have yet to comment. Van Damme was heard as saying, "I love you, Mr. Kadyrov" at the party.
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors
- Julia Roberts to Play PTA Mom Framed for Drug Possession in True-Story Movie
- Pippa Middleton's Private Photos Stolen After Her iCloud Got Hacked