Police Conduct Investigation on the Death of Weezer's Ex-Bassist
Mikey Welsh, who played with Weezer between 1998 and 2001, was found dead on the floor of a Chicago hotel room on Saturday, October 8 afternoon. Police are still investigating on the cause of death but it is suspected that the 40-year-old died of drug overdose.
Welsh failed to check out of Raffaello Hotel in the 200 block of East Delaware Place. Hotel staff checked on him at 1 P.M. and found his body. Welsh was pronounced dead at the scene at 2:50 P.M. Autopsy was scheduled for later that day, Chicago authorities said.
Welsh was in town to watch Weezer playing live at the Chicago Riot Fest. The band have expressed their sadness over his death, writing, "As many of you may have heard, Mikey Welsh has passed away. Understanding that many here are grieving, Weezerpedia has created a digital eulogy page for Mikey Welsh where fans can post stories, pictures, or thoughts. R.I.P. Mikey."
Welsh left the group in 2001 due to nervous breakdown. He went on becoming a painter.
- Two New Characters on 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 Revealed. Get the Details!
- Khloe Kardashian Tries to 'Move On and Focus on Herself' During Her 'Sad' 32nd Birthday
- Ansel Elgort Is in Talks to Star in 'Dungeons and Dragons' Reboot
- Did Britney Spears Delay Single to Include Sample of Justin Timberlake's 'Cry Me a River'?
- George Clooney Reportedly 'Refused' to Protect Wife Amal From 'Bloodthirsty Terrorists'
- Kylie Jenner Asks Tyga to Move Back Into Her House
- Rihanna Is Unhappy Kanye West Put Her in Bed With Donald Trump and George W. Bush in 'Famous' Video
- Iggy Azalea Gets Thanked for 'Ruining Hip-Hop.' See Her Reaction