Police Conduct Investigation on the Death of Weezer's Ex-Bassist
Mikey Welsh, who played with Weezer between 1998 and 2001, was found dead on the floor of a Chicago hotel room on Saturday, October 8 afternoon. Police are still investigating on the cause of death but it is suspected that the 40-year-old died of drug overdose.
Welsh failed to check out of Raffaello Hotel in the 200 block of East Delaware Place. Hotel staff checked on him at 1 P.M. and found his body. Welsh was pronounced dead at the scene at 2:50 P.M. Autopsy was scheduled for later that day, Chicago authorities said.
Welsh was in town to watch Weezer playing live at the Chicago Riot Fest. The band have expressed their sadness over his death, writing, "As many of you may have heard, Mikey Welsh has passed away. Understanding that many here are grieving, Weezerpedia has created a digital eulogy page for Mikey Welsh where fans can post stories, pictures, or thoughts. R.I.P. Mikey."
Welsh left the group in 2001 due to nervous breakdown. He went on becoming a painter.
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes
- 'The Bachelor' Season 21 Cast Photos: Meet 30 Girls Vying for Nick Viall's Heart