Report: Beyonce Knowles' 'Countdown' Music Video Is a Rip-Off
Just a day after getting premiered to relatively-positive reviews, Beyonce Knowles' latest music video which was filmed to support her single "Countdown" stirs controversy. The video directed by Queen Bey and Adria Petty is rumored to be a rip-off of a work created by Belgian choreographer Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker.
From footage which puts together the two works, it's seen that some of the dance numbers in the newly-debuted clip does share similarities with the ones created by Anne. The most obvious one is a ballet routine which sees the wife of Jay-Z looking straight to the camera while playing with her clothes and hair. In the background, the dancers do their moves.
Beyonce hasn't responded to the rumor, but Adria previously admitted that they did take inspiration from some European works. "I brought Beyonce a number of references and we picked some out together. Most were German modern-dance references, believe it or not. But it really evolved," she said in an interview published around the same time the video was premiered.
Responding to the issue, Anne herself has already addressed it in an interview with a Danish blog. From the sound of it, it seems that the choreographer was never contacted by Beyonce's team regarding the sampling. "I didn't know anything about this. I'm not mad, but this is plagiarism," she said.
"This is stealing. They took pieces from Achterland and Rosas danst Rosas. ... It's a bit rude, I must say," she went on. "What's rude about it is that they don't even bother about hiding it. They seem to think they could do it because it's a famous work. ... Am I honored? Look, I've seen local school kids doing this. That's a lot more beautiful."
This is not the first time Beyonce's hit with plagiarism accusation. Last summer, she was accused of copying Italian pop star Lorella Cuccarini for performing a special effect-full set at Billboard Music Awards. Back then, she said, "My makeup artist showed me the performance of Lorella Cuccarini a year ago, and it inspired me so much."
More Beyonce Knowles News
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?
- Jeremy Renner's Ex Claims He Refuses to Pay Child Support
- Secretly Married? See Miley Cyrus' New Band on Her Ring Finger
- Meet the Ravagers From 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'