Johnny Depp Offers Heartfelt Apology for Rape Comments
Johnny Depp is sorry for comparing photo shoots to being raped. After his remark in an interview with Vanity Fair generated a backlash from an anti-sexual violence organization, the Captain Jack Sparrow of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie series issued an apologetic statement.
"It was a poor choice of words on my part in an effort to explain a feeling," said the 48-year-old actor in the statement released on Wednesday, October 5. "I understand there is no comparison and I am very regretful. In an effort to correct my lack of judgment, please accept my heartfelt apology."
Johnny made the comparison for the November issue of Vanity Fair to give an illustration why he despises photo shoots. "You just feel like you're being raped somehow," he said. "Raped. The whole thing. It feels like a kind of weird - just weird, man.... Whenever you have a photo shoot or something like that, it's like - you just feel dumb. It's just so stupid."
His remark quickly drew reaction from the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN). Katherine Hull, a spokesperson for the organization, told the press, "While photos may feel at times intrusive, being photographed in no way compares to rape - a violent crime which affects another American every 2 minutes."
Katherine additionally expresses the organization's hope to educate "The Rum Diary" actor on the subject. "RAINN welcomes the opportunity to speak with Mr. Depp and educate him about the real life experiences faced by survivors every day," she said, "and ways that he can work with RAINN to help."
More Johnny Depp News
- 'Game of Thrones' Stars Talk About the Bloodbath and Power Transfer in Season Finale
- Deadpool Makes Surprise Appearance in 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Japanese Trailer
- 50 Cent Arrested in the Caribbean for Saying 'Motherf**ker' at Music Festival
- Adele Burps While Taking Selfie With a Fan Onstage. See the Hilarious Video
- Rihanna Previews New Song 'Sledgehammer' From 'Star Trek Beyond'
- Mariah Carey Shows Off Bare Butts at Her DJ Debut in Las Vegas
- Justin Timberlake Attacked by Twitter Users for His Comment on Jesse Williams' BET Awards Speech
- Artist of the Week: Calvin Harris