Jessie J, Rihanna and Adele Among 2011 MOBO Awards Winners
The 16th annual Music Of Black Origin (MOBO) Awards announced its winners at a star-studded ceremony held at the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Center in Glasgow on Wednesday night, October 5. Among the lucky ones who brought home coveted gongs were Jessie J, Rihanna and Adele. The "Price Tag" hitmaker bagged a total of four trophies, while Riri and Adele got one each.
Jessie won Best UK Act, Best Newcomer, Best Song and Best Album. When receiving one of the prizes, she gushed, "Wow. I did not expect to win that at all. I just want to say the biggest thank you to my fans because I watched this last year by myself in my living room and no one knew who I was and now I just won best album. That is epic. Thank you everyone."
Adele, meanwhile, was named Best UK R&B/Soul Act. The "Rolling in the Deep" singer, who recently took timeout due to vocal chord hemorrhage, was absent from the event but she took time to express her gratitude in a video message. "Thank you very much for this Mobo award. It means a lot to me. I'm so sorry that I can't be with you there tonight," she said.
As for Riri, the Bajan songstress triumphantly grabbed Best International Act prize. She beat the likes of Alexis Jordan, Aloe Blacc, Beyonce Knowles, Bruno Mars, Cee-Lo Green, Jason Derulo, Nicki Minaj, Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa. The "We Found Love" singer was not seen coming to the celebration though.
The other MOBO Awards winners included Tinie Tempah and Tinchy Stryder. The former got Best UK Hip Hop/Grime Act, and the latter received Best Video thanks to his Dappy-featured "Spaceship" video. Special honoree of the night was one of the world's best-selling R&B groups, Boyz II Men. They were honored with Outstanding Contribution to Music. Coming to the event to witness the music celebration were Dionne Bromfield, Aston Merrygold of JLS, Keisha Buchanan and more.
- Best UK Act: Jessie J
- Best Newcomer: Jessie J
- Best UK Hip Hop/Grime Act: Tinie Tempah
- Best Video: Tinchy Stryder ft. Dappy - "Spaceship"
- Best International Act: Rihanna
- Best Song: Jessie J - "Do It Like a Dude"
- Best Album: Jessie J - "Who You Are"
- Best UK R&B/Soul Act: Adele
- Best Reggae: Alborosie
- Best Jazz Act: Kairos 4tet
- Best African Act: Wizkid
- Best Gospel Act: Triple O
- Outstanding Contribution to Music: Boyz II Men
- Fifth Harmony Heats Up the 'DWTS' Stage With Sexy 'All in My Head' Performance
- 'Shield' Actor Michael Jace's Murder Trial Begins, His Chilling Line Before the Shooting Is Revealed
- Teen Choice Awards 2016: 'Civil War' and 'Batman v Superman' Dominate Movie Nomination
- 'The Voice' Crowns the Winner, Cee-Lo Green Returns in Star-Studded Finale
- Check Out Christina Aguilera's Powerful Duet With Ariana Grande on 'The Voice'
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Finale: Who Wins the Mirror Ball Trophy?
- Niall Horan Blasts 'Abusive' Fans Who Keep Him 'Awake at Night'
- New 'Finding Dory' Trailer: Meet the Younger Version of Dory