'Sesame Street' Introduces New Hungry Muppet to Raise Famine Awareness
"Sesame Street" is going to welcome a new muppet this weekend and has earlier unveiled a picture of the character. The puppet called Lily is specially introduced to teach kids about famine. She is depicted as an impoverished girl who is raised in a family which faces an ongoing struggle with hunger issues.
The new muppet will make its first appearance in a one-hour primetime special, "Growing Hope Against Hunger", which will air in the U.S. this Sunday, October 9. Sponsored by Walmart, the episode will share the stories of real-life families to raise awareness of hunger issues in the nation, as well as what people can do to help those in need.
Country singer Brad Paisley and his wife Kimberly Williams have additionally been tapped to support the special episode. "Food insecurity is a growing and difficult issue for adults to discuss, much less children," the couple said in a statement. "We are honored that 'Sesame Street', with its long history of tackling difficult issues with sensitivity, caring and warmth asked us to be a part of this important project."
- Katy Perry Teases New KP4 Song 'Witness'
- J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Are Head Over Heels for Each Other
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Attend Funeral for His Nephew
- Ed Sheeran Forgets Lyrics During Live Performance
- Watch Second Trailer for 'Justice League'
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby