'Sesame Street' Introduces New Hungry Muppet to Raise Famine Awareness
"Sesame Street" is going to welcome a new muppet this weekend and has earlier unveiled a picture of the character. The puppet called Lily is specially introduced to teach kids about famine. She is depicted as an impoverished girl who is raised in a family which faces an ongoing struggle with hunger issues.
The new muppet will make its first appearance in a one-hour primetime special, "Growing Hope Against Hunger", which will air in the U.S. this Sunday, October 9. Sponsored by Walmart, the episode will share the stories of real-life families to raise awareness of hunger issues in the nation, as well as what people can do to help those in need.
Country singer Brad Paisley and his wife Kimberly Williams have additionally been tapped to support the special episode. "Food insecurity is a growing and difficult issue for adults to discuss, much less children," the couple said in a statement. "We are honored that 'Sesame Street', with its long history of tackling difficult issues with sensitivity, caring and warmth asked us to be a part of this important project."
- Cate Blanchett Turns Into a Drag Queen for Charity
- See Mindy Transforming Into a Handsome White Man on 'The Mindy Project'
- Video of Harrison Ford Flying Over Commercial Plane Emerges
- Karlie Kloss Flashes Major Sideboob as She Goes Braless at a Charity Event
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl Jersey Is Worth $500,000
- Jimmy Kimmel May Retire From Late-Night TV: 'I Have Very Little Free Time'
- 'The Flash' 3.14 Preview: Team Flash Is Ready to Battle Grodd and His Army
- Meghan Trainor to Release New Song 'I'm a Lady'