'Sesame Street' Introduces New Hungry Muppet to Raise Famine Awareness
"Sesame Street" is going to welcome a new muppet this weekend and has earlier unveiled a picture of the character. The puppet called Lily is specially introduced to teach kids about famine. She is depicted as an impoverished girl who is raised in a family which faces an ongoing struggle with hunger issues.
The new muppet will make its first appearance in a one-hour primetime special, "Growing Hope Against Hunger", which will air in the U.S. this Sunday, October 9. Sponsored by Walmart, the episode will share the stories of real-life families to raise awareness of hunger issues in the nation, as well as what people can do to help those in need.
Country singer Brad Paisley and his wife Kimberly Williams have additionally been tapped to support the special episode. "Food insecurity is a growing and difficult issue for adults to discuss, much less children," the couple said in a statement. "We are honored that 'Sesame Street', with its long history of tackling difficult issues with sensitivity, caring and warmth asked us to be a part of this important project."
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance