Disney to Re-Release More Animated Movies in 3D After 'Lion King' Success
Following the success of "The Lion King" 3D re-release, Walt Disney Pictures plans to give similar treatment to some of other animated movies. The studio announced on Tuesday, October 4 that it is set to re-release "Beauty and the Beast (1991)", "Finding Nemo", "Monsters, Inc." and "The Little Mermaid (1989)".
Of the plan to re-launch the four animated films, Walt Disney Studios president Alan Bergman explained, "Great stories and great characters are timeless, and at Disney we're fortunate to have a treasure trove of both."
In the announcement, it is stated that the 3D version of "Beauty and the Beast" will open in limited U.S. theaters on January 13, 2012. The movie was first released in 1991 and grossed $380.4 million worldwide. Just like the "Lion King", the fantasy film spawned a long-running Broadway show in addition to regional tours.
Disney will next release the updated 3D version of Pixar's "Finding Nemo" on September 14. The original version of the computer-animated movie, which follows a clown fish as he embarks on a journey to find his lost son, was released in 2003 and successfully raked in $867.6 million worldwide.
Another Pixar film that will get a re-release treatment is "Monsters, Inc.", which is slated for a January 18, 2013 release. Meanwhile, "Monsters University", a prequel to its original version, is set to hit theaters six months earlier on June 21, 2012. First released in 2001, "Monsters, Inc." earned $526.9 million globally.
The last animated movie to receive a 3D re-release is "The Little Mermaid". Disney has skedded to launch the updated version on September 13, 2013. Ariel and co. was originally premiered in 1989 and grossed $228.9 million worldwide. The movie adaptation of Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale was also adapted into a musical stage show.
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic