Video: Andy Rooney Insists He's Not Retiring on His Last '60 Minutes' Appearance
Andy Rooney has delivered his final essay on "60 Minutes" on Sunday, October 2. Instead of commenting on popular subject like he used to do, he used the occasion to talk about himself and shared his journey to reach his dream job as a writer that he has been living.
"I spent my first 50 years trying to become well known as a writer, and the next 30 trying to avoid being famous," he opened up. "I walk down the street now or go to a football game and people shout, 'Hey, Andy!' And I hate that."
"I probably haven't said anything here that you didn't already know or have already thought," Rooney went on elaborating what he has done. "That's what a writer does. A writer's job is to tell the truth." Admitting that he was wrong sometimes, he believes he has been right more often than he has been wrong.
After sharing his thought of being a writer, the father of four finally bid his goodbye. "This is a moment I've dreaded," he stated. "I wish I could do this forever. I can't, though. But I'm not retiring. Writers don't retire, and I'll always be a writer."
Although he has not always been gracious about the well wishes people give to him, Rooney said "thank you" to them. He, however, added, "If you do see me in a restaurant, please, just let me eat my dinner."
Before being closed with Rooney's final and 1,097th essay, "60 Minutes" featured the veteran newsman in an interview with Morley Safer. During their chat about Rooney's childhood and experience in World War II as well as his early career in comedy, old footage of him on the CBS News show was played.
Rooney signed off "60 Minutes" after 33 years serving as a regular contributor. It is still not clear whether or not CBS News will replace him.
Andy Rooney interview:
Andy Rooney's last essay:
- Khloe Kardashian Files for Divorce From Lamar Odom Again
- Jamie Bell in Talks to Be the New James Bond
- First Look at Katherine Waterston's Daniels in 'Alien: Covenant' Image
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Plan $10M Lawsuit to Silence Former Bodyguard
- Justin Bieber Spotted on Dinner Date With Nicola Peltz
- Take a Peek at Gwen Stefani's 'Misery' Music Video in This Teaser
- Miranda Lambert Closes Her Boutique, Sells Building to Ex-Husband Blake Shelton
- 'DWTS' Pro Peta Murgatroyd and Maksim Chmerkovskiy Expecting First Child, but Something Upset Them