'Dolphin Tale' Locks the Top Spot of Box Office
"Dolphin Tale" takes over the number one spot in its second week on the North American box office. The film grossed $13.9 million, falling only 27% from last week. The movie, which the production cost $37 million, has earned a total of $37.5 million after ten days playing in cinemas.
Jeff Goldstein, Warner Bors. Pictures vice president of domestic distribution said of the movie, "It's resonating with audience everywhere in North America, from big cites to small towns." Goldstein did not exaggerate in his comment as the Charles Martin Smith-directed family pic received an "A+" CinemaScore.
Brad Pitt's baseball drama "Moneyball" stays on the second place this week. Dropping 37% from last week, the drama earned $12 million for a domestic cume of $38.5 million. Meanwhile, "The Lion King" 3D re-release falls to number three after ruling the chart for two weeks. The animated movie added $10.6 million for a total of $79.7 million.
Joseph Gordon-Levitt's friendship drama "50/50" lands on *the fourth spot in its debut week. The Jonathan Levine-directed movie raked in $8.6 million, which is below expectation. "While it's true that we came in a little less than expected, I think we will end up in a good place," Richie Fay, Summit Entertainment president of distribution said.
*Rounding up the top five is another new release, "Courageous", with $9 million. Appealing to 53% of female audience, the film received an "A+" CinemaScore.
Meanwhile, two other newcomers couldn't make it to the top five. Daniel Craig's thriller "Dream House" is placed on number six with $8.1 milion, while Chris Evans's comedy "What's Your Number?" lands on the eighth spot with $5.4 million.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for September 30 - October 2:
- "Dolphin Tale" - $13.9 million
- "Moneyball" - $12 million
- "The Lion King" - $10.6 million
- *"Courageous" - $9 million
- *"50/50" - $8.6 million
- "Dream House" - $8.1 million
- "Abduction" - $5.6 million
- "What's Your Number?" - $5.4 million
- *"Killer Elite" - $4.9 million
- *"Contagion" - $4.9 million
*UPDATE (Oct. 4, 2011 - 00:41 AM GMT): When the final figures came out on Monday, October 3, it was revealed that "Courageous" secured the fourth place, forcing "50/50" to drop one position to the fifth place. Meanwhile, "Killer Elite" locked the ninth position, forcing "Contagion" to drop to the tenth position.
- Kim Kardashian Filming 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' Backstage at Kanye West's Concert
- Katy Perry Celebrates 32nd Birthday by Voting for Hillary Clinton and Hitting Kanye West's Concert
- 'Knight Rider' Gets Reboot From Producer Justin Lin
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!