Shania Twain's Stalker Interrupts Testimony to Plead Guilty
A man accused of stalking Shania Twain has left a crowded courtroom stunned with his outburst. Former Ottawa surgeon Giovanni Palumbo was on trial for criminal harassment and violating a restraining order in a Toronto court on Thursday, September 29, when he interrupted the "That Don't Impress Me Much" singer's testimony to change his plea to guilty.
46-year-old Shania testified against 51-year-old Giovanni via a video link. The Grammy winner said that her accused stalker's lovelorn letters and unexpected visits at her family cottage made her feel uncomfortable, a little bit sad and just a bit awkward. She also claimed to hiring 24-hour security after he was spotted repeatedly sitting in his parked car near her Ontario cottage.
After roughly 90 minutes of Shania's testimony, Giovanni, who has a history of mental illness, suddenly stood up and declared his change of plea. Using the singer's real first name, he reportedly shouted, "Eileen, you can trust me. I am going to plead guilty." He then addressed the judge, "I've been offended too much, your honor."
Though Giovanni's outburst led to a recess, the trial later resumed and is scheduled to continue on Friday morning, September 30. It had been scheduled to last three days.
Giovanni was arrested for violating an order to remain 500 meters away from Shania back in March. The 51-year-old was being discovered in the audience at the Juno Awards in Toronto, where the singer was being inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame. He was charged with three counts of failure to comply with a court order and criminal harassment.
- Nick Jonas Gets Cozy With Bikini Hottie in Hawaii
- Brad Pitt Bails on Movie Screening to Focus on 'Family Situation' Amid Angelina Jolie Divorce
- 'The Strain' Renewed for Fourth and Final Season
- Justin Theroux Slams Media for Thrusting Jennifer Aniston Into Brangelina's Divorce
- Gigi Hadid on Fighting Off Her Attacker in Milan: 'I Felt I Was in Danger'
- Video Premiere: Hailee Steinfeld's 'Starving' Ft. Zedd
- Brody Jenner Throws Tantrum After Getting Kicked Off Hotel
- Justin Bieber and Beyonce Knowles Lead Nominations for 2016 MTV EMAs