Nelson Mandela's Granddaughters Starring in Reality Show
Nelson Mandela's offspring will appear on television as reality show stars. Three of the South Africa leader's granddaughters announced on Thursday, September 29 that they would be followed by camera for a TV show which is yet given a name but will likely air next year.
"We're definitely not the African Kardashians," said Dorothy Adjoa Amuah in front of reporters in Johannesburg, adding "We are exposing Africa for what it is ... with a new middle class of intellectuals ... contributing to the economy." Dorothy is the the granddaughter of the late Evelyn Mandela, the former president's first wife, whom he divorced in 1957.
Her cousin Swati Dlamini chimed in, "The show will be about our lives as young, black women ...We're not wearing 'I'm a Mandela' T-shirts." Swati and her older sister Zaziwe Dlamini-Manaway are granddaughters of Mandela's other ex-wife Winnie Madikizela-Mandela.
The three of them grew up in the United States but returned to South Africa upon working. The show would follow their roles as mothers and career women. "They clearly have a great love [for each other]. This may be part storytelling, part reality, except the story we are telling is real ... it's not going to detract from the dignity of Nelson Mandela," Producer Rick Leed told the Mail and Guardian.
Nelson or any of his children will not be featured on the show but the other grandchildren would make occasional appearances.
- Rihanna, Kendrick Lamar, Selena Gomez, Metallica to Perform at 2016 Global Citizen Concert
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?
- Jeremy Renner's Ex Claims He Refuses to Pay Child Support
- Secretly Married? See Miley Cyrus' New Band on Her Ring Finger