Nelson Mandela's Granddaughters Starring in Reality Show
Nelson Mandela's offspring will appear on television as reality show stars. Three of the South Africa leader's granddaughters announced on Thursday, September 29 that they would be followed by camera for a TV show which is yet given a name but will likely air next year.
"We're definitely not the African Kardashians," said Dorothy Adjoa Amuah in front of reporters in Johannesburg, adding "We are exposing Africa for what it is ... with a new middle class of intellectuals ... contributing to the economy." Dorothy is the the granddaughter of the late Evelyn Mandela, the former president's first wife, whom he divorced in 1957.
Her cousin Swati Dlamini chimed in, "The show will be about our lives as young, black women ...We're not wearing 'I'm a Mandela' T-shirts." Swati and her older sister Zaziwe Dlamini-Manaway are granddaughters of Mandela's other ex-wife Winnie Madikizela-Mandela.
The three of them grew up in the United States but returned to South Africa upon working. The show would follow their roles as mothers and career women. "They clearly have a great love [for each other]. This may be part storytelling, part reality, except the story we are telling is real ... it's not going to detract from the dignity of Nelson Mandela," Producer Rick Leed told the Mail and Guardian.
Nelson or any of his children will not be featured on the show but the other grandchildren would make occasional appearances.
- Is Jennifer Lawrence Dating Darren Aronofsky to Score Movie Roles?
- Selena Gomez's Mother Is NOT Fighting for a Conservatorship Despite Report
- Nicole Richie Is Livid Her Sister Sofia Richie Hangs Out With Her Ex-BFF Paris Hilton
- 'Legends of Tomorrow': Where's Rip Hunter? EP Promises 'You Will Find Out Before the Legends Do'
- George and Amal Clooney Unabashedly Affectionate on Movie Set
- Kris Jenner Tearfully Blasts 'Disloyal' Kim Over Caitlyn Jenner Drama, Wants Her to Pick Sides
- Watch the First Teaser Trailer for Barack Obama Biopic 'Barry'
- Benedict Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange Not the Right Magician for Birthday Party. Watch It Yourself!