Nelson Mandela's Granddaughters Starring in Reality Show
Nelson Mandela's offspring will appear on television as reality show stars. Three of the South Africa leader's granddaughters announced on Thursday, September 29 that they would be followed by camera for a TV show which is yet given a name but will likely air next year.
"We're definitely not the African Kardashians," said Dorothy Adjoa Amuah in front of reporters in Johannesburg, adding "We are exposing Africa for what it is ... with a new middle class of intellectuals ... contributing to the economy." Dorothy is the the granddaughter of the late Evelyn Mandela, the former president's first wife, whom he divorced in 1957.
Her cousin Swati Dlamini chimed in, "The show will be about our lives as young, black women ...We're not wearing 'I'm a Mandela' T-shirts." Swati and her older sister Zaziwe Dlamini-Manaway are granddaughters of Mandela's other ex-wife Winnie Madikizela-Mandela.
The three of them grew up in the United States but returned to South Africa upon working. The show would follow their roles as mothers and career women. "They clearly have a great love [for each other]. This may be part storytelling, part reality, except the story we are telling is real ... it's not going to detract from the dignity of Nelson Mandela," Producer Rick Leed told the Mail and Guardian.
Nelson or any of his children will not be featured on the show but the other grandchildren would make occasional appearances.
- First Minute of 'Pretty Little Liars' Season 7B Premiere Lands Online
- Kim Kardashian Reacts to Baby No. 3 Bombshell, Says Surrogacy Is Also an Option
- Find Out Why Kourtney Kardashian Won't Date a Rapper or Athlete Like Her Sisters
- 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Teaser Is Out, Captain America Will Make a Cameo
- Report: Kim Kardashian Gets in Top Shape to Prepare for Single Life Without Kanye West
- 'The Voice' Battle Round Night 3 Thins the Herd as Some Singers Are Sent Back Home
- Jared Padalecki and Wife Welcome Baby Girl - See the First Photo
- Scarlett Johansson Talks Dating Again as She Thinks Gordon Ramsay 'Is the Hottest Guy'