Homeless Sly Stone Doesn't Want to Return to Fixed Home
Sly Stone was once one of the biggest names in soul music, but he is now left penniless and has to call a van his home. According to the New York Post, the former frontman of Sly & the Family Stone was forced to move into his white camper in 2009 as a result to life of excess, substance abuse and financial mismanagement.
These days, the 68-year-old sleeps in a white van he parked on a residential street in the rough Los Angeles neighborhood, Crenshaw. Additionally, he claimed that a retired couple allow him to shower at their home and gives him at least a meal each day, while their son serves as his assistant and driver.
Back in the 1960s and 70s, the singer whose hits include "Everyday People" lived in a 5,432-square-foot mansion in Beverly Hills and splurged on luxurious cars. Despite the condition he now lives in, he told NY Post, "I like my small camper." He added, "I just do not want to return to a fixed home. I cannot stand being in one place. I must keep moving."
Sly, who claimed that the FBI is after him, is suing his former manager Jerry Goldstein for $50 million. He alleged that Jerry tricked him into signing a contract that gave Jerry control of his finances and forced him into bad business deals. Back in 1984, he sold all his music publishing rights to Michael Jackson for a reported $1 million.
The veteran singer still records music on his laptop and is expressing his hope to perform. "My music is a format that will encourage you to have a song you won't forget," he gushed. "That's why I got so much money, that there are so many people around, and that's why I am in court. Millions of dollars! But now please tell everybody, please, to give me a job, play my music. I'm tired of all this s**t, man."
- Chris Brown Sued for Allegedly Stealing a Fan's Hat at Concert
- Listen to Previews of Justin Bieber's Remix of Drake's 'One Dance'
- Take a Look at Ciara's Exotic Vacation in Mexico With Russell Wilson and Son Future
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Daughter Impressed With His Tattoo
- Artist of the Week: Fifth Harmony
- Johnny Depp Is 'Blackmailed' by 'Manipulative' Amber Heard, Says Friend Doug Stanhope
- Kim Kardashian Shows Off Her Curves in Cleavage-Baring Dress During Lunch With Kanye West
- 'Game of Thrones' 6.07 Preview: More Unexpected Returns