'The Lion King 3D' Still Secures Its Throne on Box Office
The 3D re-release of 1994's "The Lion King" still locks the top position on the North American box office in its second week. Dropping only 27% from last week, the animated movie grossed around $61.7 million to its domestic cume by adding $21.9 million this weekend.
Dave Hollis, Disney's executive vice president for theatrical sales and distribution, said that the audience for the re-release movie increased to 93% this weekend. He added that the increasing number was because the theater owners saw moviegoers' interest to the movie and adjusted some of their showtimes.
The runner-up for this week was Brad Pitt's baseball drama "Moneyball", which earned $19.5 million in its debut week. The Bennett Miller-directed film has appealed primarily to older viewers. 64% of the audience were over the age of 35 and 49% of them were females.
Another newcomer, "Dolphin Tale" was slated on the third place with $19.1 million. The movie has received an "A+" CinemaScore and attracted to 51% of audience under the age of 25. Dan Fellman, Warner Bros. Pictures' president of domestic distribution, said of the $35 million PG-rated movie, "Our business is content-driven and movie-going is still among the cheapest forms of entertainment."
Trailing behind the Drew Barrymore-starring family film was John Singleton's "Abduction". The action thriller starring "Twilight Saga" hunk Taylor Lautner has raked in $10.9 million on its first weekend. Appealing to mostly female audience, the movie earned a "B-" rating from CinemaScore.
Rounding up the top five of the chart was another new release "Killer Elite". The R-rated thriller starring Jason Statham has nabbed $9.3 million, which was far below the expectation. The movie received a "B" CinemaScore.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for September 23-25:
- "The Lion King" - $21.9 million
- "Moneyball" - $19.5 million
- "Dolphin Tale" - $19.1 million
- "Abduction" - $10.9 million
- "Killer Elite" - $9.3 million
- "Contagion" - $8.4 million
- "Drive" - $5.7 million
- "The Help" - $4.3 million
- "Straw Dogs" - $2 million
- "I Don't Know How She Does It" - $2 million
- Tiger Woods Busted for DUI in Florida
- Joaquin Phoenix and Rooney Mara Hold Hands at Cannes Amid Romance Rumors
- Kourtney Kardashian Cuddles Up to Son Reign in Skimpy Bikini
- Bella Hadid Parades Her Hot Bod in Skimpy Bikini in Monaco
- 'Womanizer' Scott Disick Cozies Up to 6th Woman in Monaco
- Emily Ratajkowski Goes Nude on the Set of New Thriller 'Welcome Home'
- Rihanna Sparks Pregnancy Speculations
- Suzy Hints That She's Missing Boyfriend Lee Min Ho in New Instagram Pic