Gerard Butler Recalls Being Shot Twice in the Head
Gerard Butler had a scary on-set accident during the filming of "Machine Gun Preacher". Hitting the red carpet on Wednesday (September 21) night for the premiere of the biopic about Sam Childers, the 41-year-old actor shared to E! Online, "I was shot twice in the head."
The Milo Boyd of "The Bounty Hunter", however, quickly clarified his claim by assuring,"It was a shell, but it sounds better to get shot." He then detailed, "The shell hit me, slit my head, it was pouring with blood. About twenty minutes later, we finally stopped the bleeding. We went again and another shell hit me! Within half an inch of the first one [and] slit my head again."
The flying shells apparently came from co-star Souleymane Sy Savane's gun. At the premiere, Souleymane told E! he took the blame for Gerard's particular injuries. "It was kind of serious," he recalled. "It was a pretty intense scene. We were being attacked by a bunch of rebels at night. So I would say for my defense, I couldn't really see."
The cuts from the shells weren't the only injuries Gerard sustained from the making of the biopic. He claimed to have ripped a tendon in his groin area above left leg while shooting for the same scene, and told OK! magazine he has scars going down his back. "I couldn't walk for two weeks once. I have so many tendons that I have hurt," he added.
Directed by Marc Foster, "Machine Gun Preacher" also stars Michelle Monaghan, Kathy Baker and Madeline Carroll. It revolves around a former drug-dealing biker tough guy who found God and became a crusader for hundreds of Sudanese children who've been forced to become soldiers, and will open in limited theaters across the U.S. this Friday, September 23.
More Gerard Butler News
- Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis Name Newborn Baby Boy Dimitri
- John Cena and Casey Affleck Tapped to Host 'SNL'
- Anna Faris Admits She Felt 'Insecure' and 'So Hurt' Over Chris Pratt Cheating Rumors
- Amy Schumer to Play Lead Role in 'Barbie' Live-Action Movie
- Megyn Kelly Courted by CNN for 8 or 9 P.M. Time Slots
- Check Out First Look at Anne Hathaway on Set of 'Ocean's Eight'
- 'Full House' Creator Buys Original Tanner House in San Francisco for $4M
- Mandy Moore Talks About Her Lesbian Mother and Gay Brothers