Sarah Michelle Gellar Admits to Having Body Dysmorphic Disorder
Although she may be the subjects of other women's envy, Sarah Michelle Gellar isn't always confident in her own skin. In an interview for the October issue of Health magazine, the "Ringer" star confesses that like many other women, she too is obsessed with an imagined flaw in her appearance.
"Oh God ... I'm a female! I totally have body dysmorphic disorder. I think most women do," the 34-year-old says when asked whether she has moments of insecurity. "A makeup artist friend once said, 'I don't think I've ever seen you look in a mirror.' I'm surrounded by them all the time - you sit in hair and makeup - so I guess I just have this mechanism where I tune it out."
The wife of actor Freddie Prinze Jr. continues on, "So every once in a while, I'll look and I'll be like, 'Wait, that's what I look like?' I just have to remember that I'm human, and I'm a mom. Being a parent changes the vanity at least a little bit. It has to. Your priorities are different."
Although she suffers from the same insecurities as many other women, Sarah insists that she would never use another famous woman's body for inspiration. "I would never do that to myself, especially because I'm aware of the airbrushing and trainers and food programs," she explains her ground.
The mother of one also advises other woman "to use yourself as inspiration". She adds, "I think if I were ever going to put something up, I would put a picture of myself where I was proud of my body. But I would rather not look at a picture of myself on my fridge. In fact, we have a nonmagnetic fridge."
Asked which specific photo of her she will use, Sarah says, "Probably before I got pregnant - I was in really, really good shape. I think when I was doing 'Buffy' I was a little bit thin, actually, because even though I was working out constantly, it was just the time and the age. But I was happy being pregnant, too. I'm not as critical as I used to be about my body."
More Sarah Michelle Gellar News
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance