Sarah Hyland Didn't Mean Any Harm With Lea Michele Impersonation
Hitting the red carpet of the 63rd Annual Primetime Emmy Awards on Sunday, September 18, Sarah Hyland took a time to defend her recent Lea Michele impersonation which was criticized by the "Glee" actress' fans. Asked by Giuliana Rancic about imitating her fellow TV star, the 20-year-old said, "They are very protective over her and I didn't mean it in any harm at all."
The Haley Dunphy of "Modern Family", who donned a pink one-shouldered dress at the event, went on elaborating why she imitated Michele's famous pose, "When Joan Rivers asks, 'What does she look like on the Red Carpet?' you do it! She's hilarious, and it was just in jest and that was it. I hate that it's gotten to such a level. She knows how to work it, and I can't do what she does!"
Defending Hyland, Giuliana told the young actress, "At the end of the day, we are talking about fashion and posing, and it's not like you said something hurtful about her character."
Hyland did Michele impersonation when appearing as a guest on E!'s "Fashion Police". "So it's like a slow-motion picture kinda thing," she began explaining while showing the move after host Rivers asked if she can do it. "It's just like, she puts her hands on her hips like this and sticks out her collarbone - I don't know if you can see - she sticks out her collarbone to make her look skinnier and she goes [pouts lips] sticks out her lips."
When Gleeks accused Hyland of mocking the Rachel Berry depicter, "The Muppets" star took to Twitter to clarify her comment, "I did not intend for my comments to be taken in a malicious way. But I did hate the dress. Called her ass great. Did u all hear that one?"
She also denied that she is jealous of Michele, writing, "In no way am I jealous of Lea Michelle. I'm happy with my own life and am not jealous of anyone elses n the world." She even praised the Broadway star, "Congrats Lea. U know how to work the red carpet. I can't take it as seriously as you. .. I can't take myself that seriously. I don't like the red carpet. I feel silly. So props to her for knowing what she's doing and enjoying it."
In the end, however, she did not regret doing it. "But I won't apologize," she tweeted before adding, "I'm an outspoken person. I own what I said about that outfit. And I mimicked what I saw with my own two eyes."
Sarah Hyland imitates Lea Michele's red carpet pose:
- Amber Rose Cozying Up to 'DWTS' Pro Val Chmerkovskiy at Her Birthday Party
- Fans Petition 'Deadpool 2' to Hire Quentin Tarantino After Tim Miller's Exit
- It's Not a Perfect Illusion. Lady GaGa Exposes Bare Crotch in Super Tiny Shorts
- Watch President Obama's Perfect Response to Donald Trump's Mean Tweet
- Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Are 'Getting Serious' as She Finalizes Divorce From Lamar Odom
- New 'John Wick: Chapter Two' Images Reveal Bruce Lee's 'Enter the Dragon'-Inspired Setting
- Kourtney Kardashian Channels Evil Queen in Halloween Costume
- Watch Dwayne Johnson Sing 'You're Welcome' in New 'Moana' Clip