Demi Lovato Opens Up About Meltdown, Feels Like Role Model
Demi Lovato opens up about her meltdown to Ellen DeGeneres for an episode of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" which is slated to air on Tuesday, September 20. The Disney star admitted to entering rehab last year for "emotional and physical issues", which was prompted by her inability to deal with sudden breakdown.
"So many things were going great in my life and then all of a sudden my personal life just went down at crazy speeds. I had a negative breakdown and it changed my life forever," Lovato told the talk show host. She added, "But I'm glad that it did, because if I had never gone into the treatment ... I don't know if, one, I'd even be sitting here today, [or] two, if I'd be alive today."
One thing that bothered her back then was body image. "One of the reasons why I became so outspoken when I decided to come out of treatment and talk about my issues was because when I grew up I was dealing with the pressures to be thin," she said. "It was the time in the tabloids when very, very skinny girls were on the cover of every magazine and that's what I was looking up to. That's what I had to idolize. I don't want that for young girls to idolize."
Lesson learned, Lovato is now looking forward to battle the unhealthy images. "So I want to be that for a 13-year-old girl at home deciding whether or not to eat dinner, or an 18-year-old deciding whether or not to keep her breakfast down. There needs to be a role model out there, and for the first time in my life, I actually feel like one," the singer said.
More Demi Lovato News
- Six Shortest Celebrity Marriages
- Dating for Nine Months, Drew Barrymore Is Set to Wed for the Fourth Time
- So Cool! Watch Lee Joon Gi Do His Own Dangerous Stunt for 'Criminal Minds'
- Goo Hara Is Accused of Smoking Marijuana After Posting a Photo of Hand-Rolled Cigarette
- Chrissy Teigen Is Blocked by Donald Trump After Posting This on Twitter
- Rick Ross Won't Sign Female Rapper to His Label as He Will 'End Up F**king' Her
- Amber Rose Reveals Kanye West Almost Caused Her to Commit Suicide After Their Breakup
- Full-Length Trailer for 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' Re-Release Unleashed