Demi Lovato Opens Up About Meltdown, Feels Like Role Model
Demi Lovato opens up about her meltdown to Ellen DeGeneres for an episode of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" which is slated to air on Tuesday, September 20. The Disney star admitted to entering rehab last year for "emotional and physical issues", which was prompted by her inability to deal with sudden breakdown.
"So many things were going great in my life and then all of a sudden my personal life just went down at crazy speeds. I had a negative breakdown and it changed my life forever," Lovato told the talk show host. She added, "But I'm glad that it did, because if I had never gone into the treatment ... I don't know if, one, I'd even be sitting here today, [or] two, if I'd be alive today."
One thing that bothered her back then was body image. "One of the reasons why I became so outspoken when I decided to come out of treatment and talk about my issues was because when I grew up I was dealing with the pressures to be thin," she said. "It was the time in the tabloids when very, very skinny girls were on the cover of every magazine and that's what I was looking up to. That's what I had to idolize. I don't want that for young girls to idolize."
Lesson learned, Lovato is now looking forward to battle the unhealthy images. "So I want to be that for a 13-year-old girl at home deciding whether or not to eat dinner, or an 18-year-old deciding whether or not to keep her breakfast down. There needs to be a role model out there, and for the first time in my life, I actually feel like one," the singer said.
More Demi Lovato News
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck
- I'm Guilty! 'Obsessed' Kim Kardashian Admits She Steals Things From Hotels
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up
- Will X-Men Join Avengers in 'Infinity War'? Here's What Joe Russo Says