Justin Timberlake's 'In Time' Faces Copyright Lawsuit Against Author Harlan Ellison
While it is only a month away from its theatrical release, Andrew Niccol's sci-fi action "In Time" must face a lawsuit against author Harlan Ellison. The writer has sued the director and New Regency over copyright infringement issue.
Ellison accused Niccol and the studio of copying his 1965 sci-fi story "Repent, Harlequin! Said the Ticktockman". Ellison's attorney claims that the Justin Timberlake-starring movie "copies key plot elements, themes, characters, events, sequents and settings of 'Repent, Harlequin!' "
The 77-year-old author has filed the lawsuit on Wednesday, September 14 in California federal court. On his documents, the Hugo Award-winning writer demands "an injunction to prevent the film's October 28 release and the disposal of all copies of the film."
Ellison claimed that he's been refusing Hollywood producers who intent to adapt his story into film. Back in 2010, his company, The Kilimanjaro Corporation, has closed a deal with a third party to pen a script based on his story to be sold or licensed to a Hollywood studio. He said that "In Time" jeopardizes the official movie version of "Repent Harlequin!" However, neither Niccol nor New Regency has made an official statement regarding the issue.
"In Time" follows Timberlake's Will Salas who is falsely accused of murder. He must figure out a way to bring down a system where time is money, literally, enabling the wealthy to live forever while the poor, like Will, have to beg, borrow and steal enough minutes to make it through another day. The movie also stars Amanda Seyfried, Cillian Murphy, Olivia Wilde and Alex Pettyfer.
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Are Reportedly Trying for Twins
- Kim Kardashian Is Jealous of Kourtney's Banging Bikini Body
- From Jail to Cannes! 'Hot Felon' Jeremy Meeks Partying With Nicki Minaj at amfAR Gala
- Your Favorite 'Game of Thrones' Stars Will Get More Screen Time in Season 7
- Kylie Jenner Reportedly Pregnant With Travis Scott's Baby
- Leonardo DiCaprio Mingles With Bella Hadid in Cannes, Sparks Romance Rumors
- See Ben Affleck Hilariously Imitating Christian Bale's Batman for Red Nose Day
- Zayn Malik Regrets His 'Fifty Shades' Duet With Taylor Swift