Justin Timberlake's 'In Time' Faces Copyright Lawsuit Against Author Harlan Ellison
While it is only a month away from its theatrical release, Andrew Niccol's sci-fi action "In Time" must face a lawsuit against author Harlan Ellison. The writer has sued the director and New Regency over copyright infringement issue.
Ellison accused Niccol and the studio of copying his 1965 sci-fi story "Repent, Harlequin! Said the Ticktockman". Ellison's attorney claims that the Justin Timberlake-starring movie "copies key plot elements, themes, characters, events, sequents and settings of 'Repent, Harlequin!' "
The 77-year-old author has filed the lawsuit on Wednesday, September 14 in California federal court. On his documents, the Hugo Award-winning writer demands "an injunction to prevent the film's October 28 release and the disposal of all copies of the film."
Ellison claimed that he's been refusing Hollywood producers who intent to adapt his story into film. Back in 2010, his company, The Kilimanjaro Corporation, has closed a deal with a third party to pen a script based on his story to be sold or licensed to a Hollywood studio. He said that "In Time" jeopardizes the official movie version of "Repent Harlequin!" However, neither Niccol nor New Regency has made an official statement regarding the issue.
"In Time" follows Timberlake's Will Salas who is falsely accused of murder. He must figure out a way to bring down a system where time is money, literally, enabling the wealthy to live forever while the poor, like Will, have to beg, borrow and steal enough minutes to make it through another day. The movie also stars Amanda Seyfried, Cillian Murphy, Olivia Wilde and Alex Pettyfer.
More In Time News
- Iron Fist Shows His Martial Art Skills in New Photos of Netflix's Series
- Is Rihanna Not Happy With Beyonce Over Grammy Nominations?
- Wendy Williams Calls Nicki Minaj 'Insensive B***h' for Mocking Mentally Ill Woman
- Lady GaGa Pens 'Inspiring' Open Letter About Her Daily Effort to Battle With PTSD
- 'Bones': What Will Happen to the Jeffersonian? David Boreanaz Shares Photo of Destroyed Lab
- See Tom Hiddleston Accidentally Running Into 'Taylor Swift' During Morning Jog in London
- Andy Cohen Would Like to Hook Up With Justin Bieber
- Chanel Iman Stars in Flo Rida's Flashy Video for 'Zillionaire'