J.J. Abrams Signs On to Direct 'Star Trek 2', Filming to Begin in Winter
J.J. Abrams is officially on board to direct "Star Trek 2". Confirming the news was NY Mag's Vulture which stated that the "Super 8" helmer has "finally committed to shooting" the untitled Star Trek sequel. Insiders added that he will begin the filming sometime this winter.
It has long been rumored that Abrams will make a follow-up to his 2009 hit "Star Trek", but the filmmaker himself never confirmed that he would return to helm the project. Back in August, he told Collider that he hasn't officially signed on to direct the sequel. He said, at the time, that he's "working very hard on it" and hoped he'll have "something to talk about soon."
"Star Trek 2" was previously scheduled for a June 29, 2012 release in U.S. theaters. However, Paramount Pictures has decided to give the date to "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" and push back the release of the yet-to-be-titled sequel in order to give the writers, Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof, enough time to polish the script.
Abrams once said that instead of sticking to a precise release schedule, he'd rather focus on getting the storyline right. "I just want to make sure that we're putting the story and the characters, the cast and the crew, and most importantly the audience, first before we start talking about exactly which locations we're going to be shooting at and what the wardrobe and visual effects budgets are," he explained.
Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Zoe Saldana are all set to reprise their roles as James T. Kirk, Spcok and Nyota Uhura respectively. Vulture additionally noted that pre-production is underway and that the script will be completed by the end of September.
- Jeremih Allegedly Sends a Body Double to Perform for Him in Houston
- Twitter Trolls Respond to Amy Schumer's 'Barbie' Casting With Fat-Shaming Comments
- Kylie Jenner Braves the Cold Weather in Racy Bikini in These Pics
- Naked Jai Courtney Chased 'Suicide Squad' Director Around on Set. See the NSFW Photo!
- Robert Pattinson Is Proud of Kristen Stewart and Is 'Super Impressed' With Her Rolling Stones Video
- Lady GaGa Wants Fans to Join Her at Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Supergirl to Battle Superman's Villain Mr. Mxyzptlk This Season
- J. Cole Disses Fellow Rappers on New Song 'False Prophet'