J.J. Abrams Signs On to Direct 'Star Trek 2', Filming to Begin in Winter
J.J. Abrams is officially on board to direct "Star Trek 2". Confirming the news was NY Mag's Vulture which stated that the "Super 8" helmer has "finally committed to shooting" the untitled Star Trek sequel. Insiders added that he will begin the filming sometime this winter.
It has long been rumored that Abrams will make a follow-up to his 2009 hit "Star Trek", but the filmmaker himself never confirmed that he would return to helm the project. Back in August, he told Collider that he hasn't officially signed on to direct the sequel. He said, at the time, that he's "working very hard on it" and hoped he'll have "something to talk about soon."
"Star Trek 2" was previously scheduled for a June 29, 2012 release in U.S. theaters. However, Paramount Pictures has decided to give the date to "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" and push back the release of the yet-to-be-titled sequel in order to give the writers, Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof, enough time to polish the script.
Abrams once said that instead of sticking to a precise release schedule, he'd rather focus on getting the storyline right. "I just want to make sure that we're putting the story and the characters, the cast and the crew, and most importantly the audience, first before we start talking about exactly which locations we're going to be shooting at and what the wardrobe and visual effects budgets are," he explained.
Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Zoe Saldana are all set to reprise their roles as James T. Kirk, Spcok and Nyota Uhura respectively. Vulture additionally noted that pre-production is underway and that the script will be completed by the end of September.
- Louis Tomlinson Files for Joint Custody of His Son With Briana Jungwirth
- Iggy Azalea Addresses Nick Young Baby Rumor, Reveals She Caught Him Cheating on Camera
- 'Ghostbusters' Cast Show Off the New Gadgets in Latest Featurette
- HBO Officially Confirms Jon Snow's True Parentage With This 'Game of Thrones' Infographic
- New 'Star Trek Beyond' Character Poster Shows Jaylah on Cap's Chair
- Lady GaGa and Taylor Kinney's Wedding Plan Reportedly Shelved Because of This
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Make Out in Rome, Fans Say Their Romance Is 'Staged'
- Watch James Van Der Beek Channel Diplo to Promote Mad Decent Block Party