J.J. Abrams Signs On to Direct 'Star Trek 2', Filming to Begin in Winter
J.J. Abrams is officially on board to direct "Star Trek 2". Confirming the news was NY Mag's Vulture which stated that the "Super 8" helmer has "finally committed to shooting" the untitled Star Trek sequel. Insiders added that he will begin the filming sometime this winter.
It has long been rumored that Abrams will make a follow-up to his 2009 hit "Star Trek", but the filmmaker himself never confirmed that he would return to helm the project. Back in August, he told Collider that he hasn't officially signed on to direct the sequel. He said, at the time, that he's "working very hard on it" and hoped he'll have "something to talk about soon."
"Star Trek 2" was previously scheduled for a June 29, 2012 release in U.S. theaters. However, Paramount Pictures has decided to give the date to "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" and push back the release of the yet-to-be-titled sequel in order to give the writers, Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof, enough time to polish the script.
Abrams once said that instead of sticking to a precise release schedule, he'd rather focus on getting the storyline right. "I just want to make sure that we're putting the story and the characters, the cast and the crew, and most importantly the audience, first before we start talking about exactly which locations we're going to be shooting at and what the wardrobe and visual effects budgets are," he explained.
Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Zoe Saldana are all set to reprise their roles as James T. Kirk, Spcok and Nyota Uhura respectively. Vulture additionally noted that pre-production is underway and that the script will be completed by the end of September.
- 'Twin Peaks' Debuts Extended Chilling Teaser Featuring Familiar Tune
- 'Alita: Battle Angel' Casts 'Nashville' Actor in Key Role
- Daniel Radcliffe Reveals the Outrageous Advice Donald Trump Gave Him When They First Met
- Is Brad Pitt the Real Reason Selena Gomez Checks Into Rehab?
- Listen to Major Lazer and Showtek's New Collab 'Believer'
- Angelina Jolie Eyed for War Drama 'Shoot Like a Girl'
- 'Archer' Creator Plans Show's Ending After Season 10
- Hugh Hefner Makes Fun of Death Rumors: Tabloids Should've Told Me That I'm Sick