J.J. Abrams Signs On to Direct 'Star Trek 2', Filming to Begin in Winter
J.J. Abrams is officially on board to direct "Star Trek 2". Confirming the news was NY Mag's Vulture which stated that the "Super 8" helmer has "finally committed to shooting" the untitled Star Trek sequel. Insiders added that he will begin the filming sometime this winter.
It has long been rumored that Abrams will make a follow-up to his 2009 hit "Star Trek", but the filmmaker himself never confirmed that he would return to helm the project. Back in August, he told Collider that he hasn't officially signed on to direct the sequel. He said, at the time, that he's "working very hard on it" and hoped he'll have "something to talk about soon."
"Star Trek 2" was previously scheduled for a June 29, 2012 release in U.S. theaters. However, Paramount Pictures has decided to give the date to "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" and push back the release of the yet-to-be-titled sequel in order to give the writers, Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof, enough time to polish the script.
Abrams once said that instead of sticking to a precise release schedule, he'd rather focus on getting the storyline right. "I just want to make sure that we're putting the story and the characters, the cast and the crew, and most importantly the audience, first before we start talking about exactly which locations we're going to be shooting at and what the wardrobe and visual effects budgets are," he explained.
Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Zoe Saldana are all set to reprise their roles as James T. Kirk, Spcok and Nyota Uhura respectively. Vulture additionally noted that pre-production is underway and that the script will be completed by the end of September.
- Hilary Duff Posts Steamy Throwback Pic With Beau Matthew Koma
- Lady GaGa Is Obsessed With Barbra Streisand
- 'Katrina: American Crime Story' Taps Matthew Broderick to Play Michael D. Brown
- Lauren Graham and Dylan McDermott to Lead FOX's New Comedy Pilots
- Kanye West to Launch Makeup for Men
- Emma Watson Shines Like a Princess at 'Beauty and the Beast' Premiere in London
- Listen to Zedd and Alessia Cara's New Single 'Stay'
- Oops! Gigi Hadid Stumbles During Moschino Show at Milan Fashion Week