Whitney Houston to Be Jordin Sparks' Mother in 'Sparkle' Remake
Whitney Houston could star opposite Jordin Sparks in her return to the big screen. According to Variety, the Grammy-winning songstress is in talks to play a "not-so encouraging mother" of the titular character, which will be played by the season 6 winner of "American Idol", in "Sparkle".
The film project itself is a remake of the 1976 music-themed film that is inspired by the story of The Supremes. The original movie centers on three sisters who begin singing in their church choir in Harlem in the late 1950 before finding fame as a girl group. Their sudden rise, however, unravels their personal lives.
The remake will be set in 1968 Detroit during the rising era of Motown. Its story will follow the youngest sister, a music prodigy named Sparkle as she struggles to become a famous star while overcoming issues that are tearing her family apart.
"Sparkle" will mark Sparks' first acting stint, and Houston's first movie since "The Preacher's Wife" in 1996. In the project, they will be joined by Mike Epps, who has been cast to play Satin, a stand-up comedian who ties the knot with one of the sisters but he gets her hooked on drugs.
Salim Akil is taking the directorial duty, with his wife Mara Brock Akil providing the screenplay. The couple also serve as the producers along with Debra Martin Chase, TD Jakes and Curtis Wallace. Production is scheduled to start in October.
- Taylor Swift's Squad Reportedly Abandons Her After Her 'Embarrassing Feuds and Breakups'
- Watch Britney Spears' Performance at Apple Music Festival in London
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Eliminates Second Pair of Season 23
- Miley Cyrus Disses Mariah Carey, Says 'I've Never Really Been a Fan'
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Reveals How 'Mary Poppins Returns' Connects to Original Movie
- FKA twigs Ditches Her Engagement Ring When Arriving at LAX With Robert Pattinson
- Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Aren't Speaking, but Not Breaking Up
- NBC's 'This Is Us' Is the First Freshman to Get Full Season Order