Whitney Houston to Be Jordin Sparks' Mother in 'Sparkle' Remake
Whitney Houston could star opposite Jordin Sparks in her return to the big screen. According to Variety, the Grammy-winning songstress is in talks to play a "not-so encouraging mother" of the titular character, which will be played by the season 6 winner of "American Idol", in "Sparkle".
The film project itself is a remake of the 1976 music-themed film that is inspired by the story of The Supremes. The original movie centers on three sisters who begin singing in their church choir in Harlem in the late 1950 before finding fame as a girl group. Their sudden rise, however, unravels their personal lives.
The remake will be set in 1968 Detroit during the rising era of Motown. Its story will follow the youngest sister, a music prodigy named Sparkle as she struggles to become a famous star while overcoming issues that are tearing her family apart.
"Sparkle" will mark Sparks' first acting stint, and Houston's first movie since "The Preacher's Wife" in 1996. In the project, they will be joined by Mike Epps, who has been cast to play Satin, a stand-up comedian who ties the knot with one of the sisters but he gets her hooked on drugs.
Salim Akil is taking the directorial duty, with his wife Mara Brock Akil providing the screenplay. The couple also serve as the producers along with Debra Martin Chase, TD Jakes and Curtis Wallace. Production is scheduled to start in October.
- Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers Revive 'SNL' 'Really?!' Segment to Mock Pro-Trump Protesters
- Halsey Slams Quavo, Calls Iggy Azalea a 'F**king Moron'
- Choa Announces She's Leaving AOA, Insists It's Not Because She's Pregnant
- Will Jared Leto Reprise The Joker Role for Harley Quinn Spin-Off?
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Posts Lowest Opening in the Franchise
- Ashton Kutcher Claims He Had Hooking Up Agreement With Mila Kunis
- Free the Nipple! Stella Maxwell Goes Braless in Racy Mesh Top
- DeMario Jackson Not Returning to 'Bachelor in Paradise' After Scandal. What About Corinne Olympios?