Hacked NBC News' Twitter Issued False Reports of Ground Zero Attack
NBC News' Twitter was hacked on early Friday, September 9, resulting in false reports about a Ground Zero attack. The first of the tweets which was posted just before 6 P.M. EDT read, "Breaking News! Ground Zero has just been attacked. Flight 5736 has crashed into the site, suspected hijacking. More as the story develops."
The other tweets read, "Flight 4782 is not responding, suspected hijacking. One plane just hit Ground Zeto site at 5:47" and "This is not a joke, Ground Zero has just been attacked. We're attempting to get reporters on the scene." A few minutes later, a group under the moniker the Script Kiddies took responsiblity of the false report, writing "NBCNEWS hacked by The Script Kiddies. Follow them at @s_kiddies."
In a statement released regarding the matter, NBC said, "The NBC News twitter account was hacked late this afternoon and as a result, false reports of a plane attack on ground zero were sent to @NBCNews followers. We are working with Twitter to correct the situation and sincerely apologize for the scare that could have been caused by such a reckless and irresponsible act."
The NBC News' Twitter account was temporarily taken offline before the network managed to take over the control again in early Friday evening. It is reported that the peacock is contacting authorities, including the New York Police Department and FBI, regarding the hacked Twitter account.
- Get Details of Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth's Spiritual Summer Nuptials
- 'Fargo' Season 3 Gets Premiere Date
- New Couple Alert? Amber Rose Spotted Partying With Kevin Durant
- Blac Chyna Celebrates 40-Pound Weight Loss by Posing Nude in Bed
- Kristen Stewart In Talks for Fox's Thriller 'Underwater'
- 'The Predator' Reboot Adds 'Chuck' Alum Yvonne Strahovski
- Nick Cannon Introduces Newborn Baby Boy Golden 'Sagon'
- Jamie Chung to Play Blink in FOX's 'X-Men' Pilot