Hacked NBC News' Twitter Issued False Reports of Ground Zero Attack
NBC News' Twitter was hacked on early Friday, September 9, resulting in false reports about a Ground Zero attack. The first of the tweets which was posted just before 6 P.M. EDT read, "Breaking News! Ground Zero has just been attacked. Flight 5736 has crashed into the site, suspected hijacking. More as the story develops."
The other tweets read, "Flight 4782 is not responding, suspected hijacking. One plane just hit Ground Zeto site at 5:47" and "This is not a joke, Ground Zero has just been attacked. We're attempting to get reporters on the scene." A few minutes later, a group under the moniker the Script Kiddies took responsiblity of the false report, writing "NBCNEWS hacked by The Script Kiddies. Follow them at @s_kiddies."
In a statement released regarding the matter, NBC said, "The NBC News twitter account was hacked late this afternoon and as a result, false reports of a plane attack on ground zero were sent to @NBCNews followers. We are working with Twitter to correct the situation and sincerely apologize for the scare that could have been caused by such a reckless and irresponsible act."
The NBC News' Twitter account was temporarily taken offline before the network managed to take over the control again in early Friday evening. It is reported that the peacock is contacting authorities, including the New York Police Department and FBI, regarding the hacked Twitter account.
- Kim Kardashian Shares Rare Pics for Saint's 1st Birthday as Kanye West Comes Back Home
- Mariah Carey Suffers Another Nip Slip as She and Bryan Tanaka Cozy Up at NYC Hot Spot
- Harley Quinn and The Joker Sport Very Different Tattoos in Early 'Suicide Squad' Concept Art
- 'Gotham': Cameron Monaghan Teases Disfigured Jerome With These Photos
- Spoiler Alert! 'Arrow' Showrunner Unveils Season 5 Finale Scene
- Trouble in Paradise? Jennifer Aniston's 'Tired' Justin Theroux Chooses His Career Over Her
- The Rock Has Some Epic Fights in New 'Jumanji' On-Set Photos
- Lady GaGa Causes Twitter Frenzy With Her 'Unrecognizable' Face on 'X Factor'