Hacked NBC News' Twitter Issued False Reports of Ground Zero Attack
NBC News' Twitter was hacked on early Friday, September 9, resulting in false reports about a Ground Zero attack. The first of the tweets which was posted just before 6 P.M. EDT read, "Breaking News! Ground Zero has just been attacked. Flight 5736 has crashed into the site, suspected hijacking. More as the story develops."
The other tweets read, "Flight 4782 is not responding, suspected hijacking. One plane just hit Ground Zeto site at 5:47" and "This is not a joke, Ground Zero has just been attacked. We're attempting to get reporters on the scene." A few minutes later, a group under the moniker the Script Kiddies took responsiblity of the false report, writing "NBCNEWS hacked by The Script Kiddies. Follow them at @s_kiddies."
In a statement released regarding the matter, NBC said, "The NBC News twitter account was hacked late this afternoon and as a result, false reports of a plane attack on ground zero were sent to @NBCNews followers. We are working with Twitter to correct the situation and sincerely apologize for the scare that could have been caused by such a reckless and irresponsible act."
The NBC News' Twitter account was temporarily taken offline before the network managed to take over the control again in early Friday evening. It is reported that the peacock is contacting authorities, including the New York Police Department and FBI, regarding the hacked Twitter account.
- Taylor Swift Makes Donation to Hospital That Saved Her Godson
- Daniel Radcliffe Eyed for 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child' Movie Trilogy
- Mary J. Blige to Guest Star on 'How to Get Away with Murder'
- Ryan Reynolds Paid 'Deadpool' Screenwriters With His Own Money
- Rob Kardashian Finally Opens Up on Why He Ditched Kim Kardashian's Wedding
- Drake and Rihanna Nuzzling and Holding Hands in Miami
- 'Stranger Things' Officially Renewed for Season 2 - Watch the Teaser Here!
- Chris Stapleton, Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban Lead Nominations for 2016 CMA Awards