Michael Fassbender's 'Shame' Gets Fox Searchlight as U.S. Distributor
Provocative drama starring Michael Fassbender, "Shame", has found its U.S distributor. During the Toronto International Film Festival on Friday, September 9, Fox Searchlight Pictures have decided to buy the Steve McQueen-directed drama and plan to release it before this year's end.
When announcing the deal, Searchlight's Copresident Nancy Utley and Stephen Gilula stated, "Steve McQueen's courageous exploration of modern life's extreme is breathtaking. He has crafted an extraordinary film that probes some of the deepest and darkest issues ever portrayed on screen with amazingly gifted performance by Michael Fassbender and Carey Mulligan."
The buy marked the first big aquisition of the fall film festival season. Before the distribution deal with Searchlight was closed, there were other big studios including the Weinstein Co. and Oscilloscope that tried to buy the movie which is likely to be rated NC-17 for featuring gory scenes and graphic sex.
While it is believed that the studio will face difficulties to distribute the film because of its nature, producers Iain Canning and Emile Sherman said otherwise. "Their approach to marketing and distributing the film this year was incredibly detailed and impressive. We are excited to be working with them on a film that is sparking debate and a strong emotional reaction from audience," they explained.
"Shame", which has been premiered at the Venice Film Festival and played at the Telluride Film Festival in Colorado last week, follows the story of Brandon, a 30-something man living in New York who is unable to manage his sex life. After his wayward younger sister moves into his apartment, Brandon's world spirals out of control.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival