Michael Fassbender's 'Shame' Gets Fox Searchlight as U.S. Distributor
Provocative drama starring Michael Fassbender, "Shame", has found its U.S distributor. During the Toronto International Film Festival on Friday, September 9, Fox Searchlight Pictures have decided to buy the Steve McQueen-directed drama and plan to release it before this year's end.
When announcing the deal, Searchlight's Copresident Nancy Utley and Stephen Gilula stated, "Steve McQueen's courageous exploration of modern life's extreme is breathtaking. He has crafted an extraordinary film that probes some of the deepest and darkest issues ever portrayed on screen with amazingly gifted performance by Michael Fassbender and Carey Mulligan."
The buy marked the first big aquisition of the fall film festival season. Before the distribution deal with Searchlight was closed, there were other big studios including the Weinstein Co. and Oscilloscope that tried to buy the movie which is likely to be rated NC-17 for featuring gory scenes and graphic sex.
While it is believed that the studio will face difficulties to distribute the film because of its nature, producers Iain Canning and Emile Sherman said otherwise. "Their approach to marketing and distributing the film this year was incredibly detailed and impressive. We are excited to be working with them on a film that is sparking debate and a strong emotional reaction from audience," they explained.
"Shame", which has been premiered at the Venice Film Festival and played at the Telluride Film Festival in Colorado last week, follows the story of Brandon, a 30-something man living in New York who is unable to manage his sex life. After his wayward younger sister moves into his apartment, Brandon's world spirals out of control.
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie