Andrea Mitchell Battling Early Stage of Breast Cancer
Andrea Mitchell was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. The NBC Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent broke the news that she is among one in eight women in the United States who has breast cancer, during a broadcast of "Andrea Mitchell Reports" on Wednesday, September 7.
"And now a personal note, or how I spent my summer vacation," the 64-year-old said near the end of her MSNBC show. "I had planned to be hiking in Wyoming last week, but instead discovered that I am now among the one in eight women in this country - incredibly, one in eight - who've had breast cancer."
The veteran reporter continued, "Mine was discovered during my annual screening just a short time ago." Noting the positive side of the diagnosis, she added, "Luckily for me, I'm one of the fortunate ones. We discovered it in the earliest stage, it had not spread, and I'm already back at work with a terrific prognosis."
Andrea went on to explain her commitment to the cause and urge other women to get annual screenings. "I'm looking at this as another of life's lessons," she said. "For you women out there and the men who love you, screening matters. Do it. This disease can be completely curable if you find it at the right time."
- Chris Brown Sued for Allegedly Stealing a Fan's Hat at Concert
- Listen to Previews of Justin Bieber's Remix of Drake's 'One Dance'
- Take a Look at Ciara's Exotic Vacation in Mexico With Russell Wilson and Son Future
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Daughter Impressed With His Tattoo
- Artist of the Week: Fifth Harmony
- Johnny Depp Is 'Blackmailed' by 'Manipulative' Amber Heard, Says Friend Doug Stanhope
- Kim Kardashian Shows Off Her Curves in Cleavage-Baring Dress During Lunch With Kanye West
- 'Game of Thrones' 6.07 Preview: More Unexpected Returns