Andrea Mitchell Battling Early Stage of Breast Cancer
Andrea Mitchell was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. The NBC Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent broke the news that she is among one in eight women in the United States who has breast cancer, during a broadcast of "Andrea Mitchell Reports" on Wednesday, September 7.
"And now a personal note, or how I spent my summer vacation," the 64-year-old said near the end of her MSNBC show. "I had planned to be hiking in Wyoming last week, but instead discovered that I am now among the one in eight women in this country - incredibly, one in eight - who've had breast cancer."
The veteran reporter continued, "Mine was discovered during my annual screening just a short time ago." Noting the positive side of the diagnosis, she added, "Luckily for me, I'm one of the fortunate ones. We discovered it in the earliest stage, it had not spread, and I'm already back at work with a terrific prognosis."
Andrea went on to explain her commitment to the cause and urge other women to get annual screenings. "I'm looking at this as another of life's lessons," she said. "For you women out there and the men who love you, screening matters. Do it. This disease can be completely curable if you find it at the right time."
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding