Andrea Mitchell Battling Early Stage of Breast Cancer
Andrea Mitchell was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. The NBC Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent broke the news that she is among one in eight women in the United States who has breast cancer, during a broadcast of "Andrea Mitchell Reports" on Wednesday, September 7.
"And now a personal note, or how I spent my summer vacation," the 64-year-old said near the end of her MSNBC show. "I had planned to be hiking in Wyoming last week, but instead discovered that I am now among the one in eight women in this country - incredibly, one in eight - who've had breast cancer."
The veteran reporter continued, "Mine was discovered during my annual screening just a short time ago." Noting the positive side of the diagnosis, she added, "Luckily for me, I'm one of the fortunate ones. We discovered it in the earliest stage, it had not spread, and I'm already back at work with a terrific prognosis."
Andrea went on to explain her commitment to the cause and urge other women to get annual screenings. "I'm looking at this as another of life's lessons," she said. "For you women out there and the men who love you, screening matters. Do it. This disease can be completely curable if you find it at the right time."
- Is Jennifer Lawrence Dating Darren Aronofsky to Score Movie Roles?
- Selena Gomez's Mother Is NOT Fighting for a Conservatorship Despite Report
- Nicole Richie Is Livid Her Sister Sofia Richie Hangs Out With Her Ex-BFF Paris Hilton
- 'Legends of Tomorrow': Where's Rip Hunter? EP Promises 'You Will Find Out Before the Legends Do'
- George and Amal Clooney Unabashedly Affectionate on Movie Set
- Kris Jenner Tearfully Blasts 'Disloyal' Kim Over Caitlyn Jenner Drama, Wants Her to Pick Sides
- Watch the First Teaser Trailer for Barack Obama Biopic 'Barry'
- Benedict Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange Not the Right Magician for Birthday Party. Watch It Yourself!