Eddie Murphy Expected to Bring 'Tremendous Heart' to Oscars
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science has made it official that Eddie Murphy will host the 84th annual Academy Awards on Sunday, February 26, 2012. Announcing this in a statement, telecast producers Brett Ratner and Don Mischer sang praise to the "comedic genius".
"With his love of movies, history of crafting unforgettable characters and his iconic performances - especially on stage - I know he will bring excitement, spontaneity and tremendous heart to the show," Ratner stated. Mischer added, "His quick wit and charisma will serve him very well as Oscar host."
Murphy himself has expressed his excitement in tackling the duty. "I am enormously honored to join the great list of past Academy Award hosts from Hope and Carson to Crystal, Martin and Goldberg, among others," the 50-year-old actor/comedian said. "I'm looking forward to working with Brett and Don on creating show that is enjoyable for both the fans at home and for the audience at the Kodak Theatre."
To The Hollywood Reporter, Ratner revealed that Murphy just made the decision to be on board the prize-giving event over the holiday weekend. Asked if he ever mentioned a co-host during the talks, the "Tower Heist" director said, "I wouldn't have anyone share the stage with Eddie Murphy. Some other choices, maybe it would be fine."
The upcoming Oscar gig will be the first time in Murphy's career.
- Kourtney Kardashian Cuddles Up to Son Reign in Skimpy Bikini
- Bella Hadid Parades Her Hot Bod in Skimpy Bikini in Monaco
- 'Womanizer' Scott Disick Cozies Up to 6th Woman in Monaco
- Emily Ratajkowski Goes Nude on the Set of New Thriller 'Welcome Home'
- Rihanna Sparks Pregnancy Speculations
- Suzy Hints That She's Missing Boyfriend Lee Min Ho in New Instagram Pic
- Big Bang's G-Dragon Sports Cornrows and Heavy Makeup in New Instagram Pics
- Pregnant Nikki Reed Bares Cleavage in Sexy Maternity Clothes