Eddie Murphy Expected to Bring 'Tremendous Heart' to Oscars
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science has made it official that Eddie Murphy will host the 84th annual Academy Awards on Sunday, February 26, 2012. Announcing this in a statement, telecast producers Brett Ratner and Don Mischer sang praise to the "comedic genius".
"With his love of movies, history of crafting unforgettable characters and his iconic performances - especially on stage - I know he will bring excitement, spontaneity and tremendous heart to the show," Ratner stated. Mischer added, "His quick wit and charisma will serve him very well as Oscar host."
Murphy himself has expressed his excitement in tackling the duty. "I am enormously honored to join the great list of past Academy Award hosts from Hope and Carson to Crystal, Martin and Goldberg, among others," the 50-year-old actor/comedian said. "I'm looking forward to working with Brett and Don on creating show that is enjoyable for both the fans at home and for the audience at the Kodak Theatre."
To The Hollywood Reporter, Ratner revealed that Murphy just made the decision to be on board the prize-giving event over the holiday weekend. Asked if he ever mentioned a co-host during the talks, the "Tower Heist" director said, "I wouldn't have anyone share the stage with Eddie Murphy. Some other choices, maybe it would be fine."
The upcoming Oscar gig will be the first time in Murphy's career.
- First Minute of 'Pretty Little Liars' Season 7B Premiere Lands Online
- Kim Kardashian Reacts to Baby No. 3 Bombshell, Says Surrogacy Is Also an Option
- Find Out Why Kourtney Kardashian Won't Date a Rapper or Athlete Like Her Sisters
- 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Teaser Is Out, Captain America Will Make a Cameo
- Report: Kim Kardashian Gets in Top Shape to Prepare for Single Life Without Kanye West
- 'The Voice' Battle Round Night 3 Thins the Herd as Some Singers Are Sent Back Home
- Jared Padalecki and Wife Welcome Baby Girl - See the First Photo
- Scarlett Johansson Talks Dating Again as She Thinks Gordon Ramsay 'Is the Hottest Guy'