Al Pacino Premieres 'Wilde Salome', Honored With the Filmmaker Award in Venice
Al Pacino had at least two things to celebrate at the 68th Venice Film Festival. On Sunday, September 4, his film "Wilde Salome" was debuted to positive reviews and he was honored with Jaeger LeCoultre Glory to the Filmmaker Award.
Donning an unbuttoned shirt, the 71-year-old actor/filmmaker came hand in hand with his girlfriend Lucila Sola to the world premiere of his directed-movie which took place on the fifth day of the festival. His "Salome" co-star Jessica Chastain joined him on the red carpet, looking elegant in a sweeping train dress.
Speaking to reporters ahead of the special screening, he said that "The Tree of Life" star Chastain inspired him to make "Salome". "There is Jessica Chastain, who I really believe is the reason I made the movie," he enthused. "As soon as I met her, and saw her, I thought: This is the person to play 'Salome' and I must get her to play it before the world picks up on her - which it has done - and turns her into the next big star."
On the same day, Al Pacino was presented with the Filmmaker Award. During his acceptance speech, the Tony Montana of "Scarface" claimed he was "confused" when making the movie which interweaves behind-the-scenes footage from a current Los Angeles staging of Oscar Wilde's "Salome" with fictional elements. "I didn't know where this was going," he gushed.
The Academy Award winner even did not know how to accurately describe the movie. "I like to say it's a documentary because it's not a film, but then it's not a documentary either," he shared. "I wanted to make a kind of collage. ... I wanted to reflect some of what Oscar Wilde was and went through, but not intensely like a documentary would do, which is much more complex."
Beside taking the helming duty, Al Pacino also stars in "Salome". The movie still has no U.S. release date.
- Pressed About Gay Cover-Up Rumor, Here's How Will Smith Reacts
- Bryan Singer Confirms 'Legion' Will 'Relate' to Future 'X-Men' Movies
- Demi Lovato's Reportedly Dating UFC's Luke Rockhold
- Do You Ever Find Group Chat Annoying? Kerry Washington Perfectly Portrays It in Fake Movie Trailer
- Ellie Goulding Releases 'Still Falling for You' Video From 'Bridget Jones's Baby'
- So, This Is Apparently Why Jennifer Lopez Broke Up With Casper Smart
- Helen Mirren in Talks to Join New 'Nutcracker' Movie, Sarah Paulson Eying a Role in 'Ocean's Eight'
- Young Thug's 'No, My Name Is Jeffery' Album Cover Sparks Hilarious Memes