Eddie Murphy Touted to Take 2012 Oscars Hosting Duty
Oscar producer Brett Ratner has one name in mind on who should host the ceremony next year. The newly minted producer reportedly suggested to the Academy Of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences that his "Tower Heist" star Eddie Murphy is a suitable candidate.
Per Deadline, Ratner is to submit a name to the Academy President Tom Sherak this Tuesday, September 6. Ratner's incline towards Murphy has been there since the director took the job as the event's producer. He's been asking Murphy whether he would accept the hosting duty if he's offered, and Murphy reportedly is "showing interest".
Moreover, Ratner picked Murphy based on several plus points. Beside the fact that it would be a good platform for the comedian to kick-start his dormant career, it is a great promotion for Murphy's dramedy "A Thousand Words" which is scheduled to be released on January 12. In addition, the Academy has been after more diversity for the show.
"Nobody knows movies better or is a bigger cinephile than Eddie. Not Brett. Not even Quentin Tarantino. Eddie can quote scenes from every single movie word for word," an insider told Deadline. "He can bring all that experience to hosting. Plus he has Saturday Night Live experience before a live crowd. And worldwide the biggest crossover comedians are Will Smith and Eddie Murphy."
However, Brett's choice is not a hundred percent guaranteed to be approved. The other producer, Don Mischer, said that big names have approached the board and showed interest to become the host. Just last month, it was reported that eight-time host Billy Crystal could be back on the post.
More Eddie Murphy News
- Stephen Baldwin Not Fan of Alec Baldwin's Donald Trump Impersonation on 'SNL'
- Kanye West Rips Jay-Z in Shocking Rant: 'There Will Never Be a Watch the Throne 2'
- 'Logan' Introduces X-23 in Official Teaser Trailer
- Watch This Chilling Video of Kim Kardashian Paris Robbery!
- Brad Pitt Finally Meets Son Maddox Since Plane Fight
- Uh-Oh! Blac Chyna Is Pissed Tyga and Kylie Jenner Stole Her Idea for King Cairo's Birthday Party
- Kim Kardashian's 'Not Doing Great' as She Reportedly Builds Panic Room After Paris Robbery
- Playboy Model Katie May Died Due to Fatal Injury Caused by Chiropractor, Coroner Confirms