Eddie Murphy Touted to Take 2012 Oscars Hosting Duty
Oscar producer Brett Ratner has one name in mind on who should host the ceremony next year. The newly minted producer reportedly suggested to the Academy Of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences that his "Tower Heist" star Eddie Murphy is a suitable candidate.
Per Deadline, Ratner is to submit a name to the Academy President Tom Sherak this Tuesday, September 6. Ratner's incline towards Murphy has been there since the director took the job as the event's producer. He's been asking Murphy whether he would accept the hosting duty if he's offered, and Murphy reportedly is "showing interest".
Moreover, Ratner picked Murphy based on several plus points. Beside the fact that it would be a good platform for the comedian to kick-start his dormant career, it is a great promotion for Murphy's dramedy "A Thousand Words" which is scheduled to be released on January 12. In addition, the Academy has been after more diversity for the show.
"Nobody knows movies better or is a bigger cinephile than Eddie. Not Brett. Not even Quentin Tarantino. Eddie can quote scenes from every single movie word for word," an insider told Deadline. "He can bring all that experience to hosting. Plus he has Saturday Night Live experience before a live crowd. And worldwide the biggest crossover comedians are Will Smith and Eddie Murphy."
However, Brett's choice is not a hundred percent guaranteed to be approved. The other producer, Don Mischer, said that big names have approached the board and showed interest to become the host. Just last month, it was reported that eight-time host Billy Crystal could be back on the post.
- Mila Kunis Debuts Amazing Post-Baby Body, 4 Months After Giving Birth to Son Dimitri
- 'It' Teaser and Poster Are Released Ahead of Official Teaser Trailer
- Zayn Malik Dyes His Hair Green. See His Wild Makeover
- Taylor Swift Laughs Off Rumors of Her Missing. Find Out Where She's Been
- 'American Horror Story' 7th Installment Casts Billy Eichner
- T.I. 'Begged' Tiny to Sleep Together Again Amid Reports They Reconcile
- Drake Reportedly Has 'Weed Overdose'
- Kanye West 'Would Love to Have More Kids' With Kim Kardashian