Daryl Hannah All Smiles When Arrested for Protesting in Front of White House
Daryl Hannah doesn't seem troubled being put in handcuffs by U.S. Park Police. The Elle Driver of "Kill Bill" was among 100 people arrested in Washington D.C. on Tuesday, August 30 during a sit-in protest against a pipeline expansion project in front of the White House, but instead of getting angry, she was seen sporting a smile on her face.
The 50-year-old actress got herself cuffed after refusing three orders to move from a sidewalk near the White House. Before her arrest, she told Washington D.C.'s NBC affiliate, WRC-TV, "Sometimes it's necessary to sacrifice your freedom for a greater freedom. And we want to be free from the horrible death and destruction that fossil fuels cause, and have a clean energy future."
On Tuesday, Daryl joined other environmental activists in voicing their opposition to the building of the Keystone XL pipeline that would stretch from Canada to the U.S. Gulf Coast. To the Associated Press, she said that the protesters urge President Barack Obama not to bow to oil lobbyists.
Daryl has been released from custody after paying a $100 fine. This isn't the first time the "Roxanne" star got into trouble with the laws for environmental causes. In 2006, she was arrested for protesting efforts to bulldoze an urban farm in Los Angeles. She also got herself arrested in 2009 for protesting mountaintop coal mining.
- Lil' Kim Cancels Performance at Essence Festival
- Tyga Romances Blonde Beauty in '1 of 1' Music Video
- David Foster's Daughters: Yolanda Hadid Is Not Dying If She Continues to Be on Reality Show
- Alexander Skarsgard Laughs Off Wedding Plan Rumor
- Judi Dench Gets Her First Tattoo at Her 81st Birthday
- Keri Russell Reveals Her Baby's Gender and Name
- Debby Ryan Gets Probation After Pleading No Contest to DUI
- Justin Bieber Falls Again on Stage During His Concert