Report: Anne Hathaway to Play Fantine in 'Les Miserables'
Anne Hathaway may make a leap from superhero film to Broadway adaptation. According to Broadway World, the actress who is currently taking the role of Catwoman in "The Dark Knight Rises" is attached to the role of Fantine in Tom Hooper-directed "Les Miserables".
The 28-year-old beauty allegedly got the role out of recommendation by Hugh Jackman, who has previously been tapped to take on the male lead role Jean Valjean. She herself has proven that she can tackle "On My Own" from Claude-Michel Schonberg's musical when co-hosting the 83rd Annual Academy Awards.
"Les Miserables" is based on a 1862 novel of the same title by Victor Hugo. It centers on the struggle by ex-con Valjean to outrun his past and his relentless pursuer Javert. Its musical version was originally opened in London in 1985 and features such songs as "I Dreamed a Dream" and "Bring Him Home".
It has been rumored that several A-list stars are being considered to join the project. Words have run wild that Russell Crowe is eyed to play Javert, Geoffrey Rush is considered to star as Thenardier, and Helena Bonham Carter is wanted to portray Madame Thenardier. Hayden Panettiere, Lucy Hale and Emma Watson are also listed as the candidates for Eponine and Cosette.
- Oscars 2017: 'La La Land' Leads With 14 Nods, 7 Black Actors Are Among 20 Acting Nominees
- 'The Ring' Prank Is Too Real to Not Be Terrified. See People's Reactions
- First Look at Sebastian Stan in 'I, Tonya' Arrives as Caitlin Carver Joins the Cast
- Furious Chris Brown Hits Back at Aziz Ansari for Comparing Him to Donald Trump
- Michelle Rodriguez Is a Transgender in 'The Assignment' Trailer
- Bella Hadid Gets Frisky in Threesome Photo With Kendall Jenner and Riccardo Tisci
- Alec Baldwin Will Host 'Saturday Night Live' for the 17th Time
- Sabrina Carpenter Slays a Mash-Up of Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' and TLC's 'No Scrubs'