Report: Anne Hathaway to Play Fantine in 'Les Miserables'
Anne Hathaway may make a leap from superhero film to Broadway adaptation. According to Broadway World, the actress who is currently taking the role of Catwoman in "The Dark Knight Rises" is attached to the role of Fantine in Tom Hooper-directed "Les Miserables".
The 28-year-old beauty allegedly got the role out of recommendation by Hugh Jackman, who has previously been tapped to take on the male lead role Jean Valjean. She herself has proven that she can tackle "On My Own" from Claude-Michel Schonberg's musical when co-hosting the 83rd Annual Academy Awards.
"Les Miserables" is based on a 1862 novel of the same title by Victor Hugo. It centers on the struggle by ex-con Valjean to outrun his past and his relentless pursuer Javert. Its musical version was originally opened in London in 1985 and features such songs as "I Dreamed a Dream" and "Bring Him Home".
It has been rumored that several A-list stars are being considered to join the project. Words have run wild that Russell Crowe is eyed to play Javert, Geoffrey Rush is considered to star as Thenardier, and Helena Bonham Carter is wanted to portray Madame Thenardier. Hayden Panettiere, Lucy Hale and Emma Watson are also listed as the candidates for Eponine and Cosette.
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park
- New Couple Alert! Brooklyn Beckham and Madison Beer Are Dating
- 'Gambit' Is Being Reworked Following Success of 'Deadpool' and 'Logan'
- Rob Kardashian Returns to Twitter to Post Photo of Daughter Dream
- 'Home Alone' Actor John Heard Dies at 72
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy