Nicki Minaj Draws Inspiration for Bizarre VMAs Outfit From Tokyo
Tokyo apparently has something to do with Nicki Minaj's head-turning outfit at this year's MTV Video Music Awards. The "Fly" raptress generated buzz when hitting the black carpet on Sunday (August 28) night, wearing a metal dress with a pink tutu that she combined with colorful socks and leg warmers.
When asked about her eclectic fashion choice, the 28-year-old told reporters backstage,"Tokyo inspires this outfit." The singer, who completed her bizzare look with a soft-serve ice cream necklace, a Japanese face mask and a pink, yellow and orange wig, went on to elaborate her answer, "You know, Harajuku is something I have been absorbing for a very long time."
Coming to the VMAs, Nicki was up for a number of awards. The Young Money member, however, lost to Katy Perry for Best Collaboration and to Lady GaGa for Best Female Video. Still, she managed to beat the likes of Chris Brown, Lupe Fiasco, Lil Wayne and Kanye West on the category of Best Hip-Hop Video, thanks to "Super Bass".
Nicki was also on hand in presenting Best Pop Video award along with Jonah Hill. Taking the stage for the presentation, she shared several awkward moments with the actor as they discussed his recent weight loss and prompted him to unleash his anger when she failed to see the funny side of his joke.
Presenting Award With Jonah Hill:
More Nicki Minaj News
- Despite Chipped Tooth and Skin Rash, Kim Kardashian Has Lots of Fun at Las Vegas Party
- Comic-Con: Brie Larson Officially Named Captain Marvel
- Comic-Con: 'The Vampire Diaries' Announced to End With Season 8. How Fans React?
- After Breaking Down on Stage, Selena Gomez Posts Cryptic Message on Instagram
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers