Nicki Minaj Draws Inspiration for Bizarre VMAs Outfit From Tokyo
Tokyo apparently has something to do with Nicki Minaj's head-turning outfit at this year's MTV Video Music Awards. The "Fly" raptress generated buzz when hitting the black carpet on Sunday (August 28) night, wearing a metal dress with a pink tutu that she combined with colorful socks and leg warmers.
When asked about her eclectic fashion choice, the 28-year-old told reporters backstage,"Tokyo inspires this outfit." The singer, who completed her bizzare look with a soft-serve ice cream necklace, a Japanese face mask and a pink, yellow and orange wig, went on to elaborate her answer, "You know, Harajuku is something I have been absorbing for a very long time."
Coming to the VMAs, Nicki was up for a number of awards. The Young Money member, however, lost to Katy Perry for Best Collaboration and to Lady GaGa for Best Female Video. Still, she managed to beat the likes of Chris Brown, Lupe Fiasco, Lil Wayne and Kanye West on the category of Best Hip-Hop Video, thanks to "Super Bass".
Nicki was also on hand in presenting Best Pop Video award along with Jonah Hill. Taking the stage for the presentation, she shared several awkward moments with the actor as they discussed his recent weight loss and prompted him to unleash his anger when she failed to see the funny side of his joke.
Presenting Award With Jonah Hill:
More Nicki Minaj News
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie