ABC NOT Asking Ricky Gervais to Host Oscars
Ricky Gervais has been boasting that *he is considered to host the upcoming Academy Awards, but ABC says the otherwise. Putting the rumor to rest, the network denies that it has ever approached the creator of British "The Office" for the said duty.
Gervais made such claim when appearing at MediaGuardian Edinburgh International TV Festival on Friday, August 26. He said as quoted by U.K. newspaper The Guardian, "They said to my agent, Would he like to be on our list?' "
He later added that he would not accept the offer. "I couldn't do the Oscars," the 50-year-old comedian said, before reasoning, "It's a thankless task for a comedian. They don't want to hear jokes, they want to hear if they have won the most important award of their career."
Gervais additionally revealed that he has been offered to host Golden Globe Awards for the third time. "NBC have offered it - they think they can persuade the Hollywood Foreign Press Association," he stated.
Asked if he considers the offer, he said, "I am but I shouldn't do it. It's a second encore. Don't do a second encore. I don't think I should do it. What am I going back as?"
NBC has not responded to Gervais' claim about the Golden Globe hosting gig.
*UPDATE (Aug. 29, 2011 00:50 GMT): Ricky Gervais has responded to report that he was asked about hosting the upcoming Academy Awards. Taking to his blog, he clarified that he was offered the gig three years ago and talked about it during an interview in Edingburgh only after he was asked by the interviewer.
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop Accused by NASA of Scamming Customers With Healing Stickers
- Future and Chris Brown Are Total Womanizers in Sexy 'Pie' Video
- Ryan Murphy Shares New 'American Horror Story' Season 7 Clue
- Topless Kylie Jenner Smokes Cigarette in Throwback Photo
- 'Preacher' 2.02 Sneak Peeks: Jesse Confronts the Saint of Killers
- Artist of the Week: Selena Gomez
- Fighting Over Karrueche? Chris Brown's Crew Allegedly Confronts Migos at BET Awards After-Party
- 'Toy Story': Sad Backstory of Andy's Father Debunked by Writer