ABC NOT Asking Ricky Gervais to Host Oscars
Ricky Gervais has been boasting that *he is considered to host the upcoming Academy Awards, but ABC says the otherwise. Putting the rumor to rest, the network denies that it has ever approached the creator of British "The Office" for the said duty.
Gervais made such claim when appearing at MediaGuardian Edinburgh International TV Festival on Friday, August 26. He said as quoted by U.K. newspaper The Guardian, "They said to my agent, Would he like to be on our list?' "
He later added that he would not accept the offer. "I couldn't do the Oscars," the 50-year-old comedian said, before reasoning, "It's a thankless task for a comedian. They don't want to hear jokes, they want to hear if they have won the most important award of their career."
Gervais additionally revealed that he has been offered to host Golden Globe Awards for the third time. "NBC have offered it - they think they can persuade the Hollywood Foreign Press Association," he stated.
Asked if he considers the offer, he said, "I am but I shouldn't do it. It's a second encore. Don't do a second encore. I don't think I should do it. What am I going back as?"
NBC has not responded to Gervais' claim about the Golden Globe hosting gig.
*UPDATE (Aug. 29, 2011 00:50 GMT): Ricky Gervais has responded to report that he was asked about hosting the upcoming Academy Awards. Taking to his blog, he clarified that he was offered the gig three years ago and talked about it during an interview in Edingburgh only after he was asked by the interviewer.
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie