ABC NOT Asking Ricky Gervais to Host Oscars
Ricky Gervais has been boasting that *he is considered to host the upcoming Academy Awards, but ABC says the otherwise. Putting the rumor to rest, the network denies that it has ever approached the creator of British "The Office" for the said duty.
Gervais made such claim when appearing at MediaGuardian Edinburgh International TV Festival on Friday, August 26. He said as quoted by U.K. newspaper The Guardian, "They said to my agent, Would he like to be on our list?' "
He later added that he would not accept the offer. "I couldn't do the Oscars," the 50-year-old comedian said, before reasoning, "It's a thankless task for a comedian. They don't want to hear jokes, they want to hear if they have won the most important award of their career."
Gervais additionally revealed that he has been offered to host Golden Globe Awards for the third time. "NBC have offered it - they think they can persuade the Hollywood Foreign Press Association," he stated.
Asked if he considers the offer, he said, "I am but I shouldn't do it. It's a second encore. Don't do a second encore. I don't think I should do it. What am I going back as?"
NBC has not responded to Gervais' claim about the Golden Globe hosting gig.
*UPDATE (Aug. 29, 2011 00:50 GMT): Ricky Gervais has responded to report that he was asked about hosting the upcoming Academy Awards. Taking to his blog, he clarified that he was offered the gig three years ago and talked about it during an interview in Edingburgh only after he was asked by the interviewer.
- James Blunt Sings Touching New Song at Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds' Memorial
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Star Samira Wiley Marries the Show's Writer Lauren Morelli
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.15 Preview: Aladdin and Jasmine Meet Ariel in 'A Wondrous Place'
- Wishes Turn Into Nightmares in 'Wish Upon' New Trailer
- Sade Convinces Drake Not to Diss Kendrick Lamar Over a Track
- Selena Gomez Cheers on The Weeknd at Brazilian Concert
- 'Power Rangers' Future Installment May Feature Female Green Ranger
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss on the Ending: No One Can Get Happy Ending Without Some Struggle