Dwayne Johnson and Jerry Bruckheimer's Wrestling Drama Sold to NBC
Dwayne Johnson aka The Rock and Jerry Bruckheimer are teaming up with NBC to glorify the 1980s professional wrestling. Deadline reports that the network has commited to produce a pilot of the fictional drama from Bruckheimer TV with the wrestler-turned-actor serving as the executive producer along with "The Amazing Race" executive producer and Jonathan Littman.
"Look forward to teaming up with @THEROCK on exciting new wrestling project," Bruckheimer tweeted about their upcoming joint project. Johnson then chimed in, "Kickin' Ass! Excited to partner up w @BruckheimerJB & @NBC to create 1980's wrestling TV drama."
Seamus Kevin Fahey and Brent Fletcher are tapped to write the pilot which will focus on what is widely considered the golden age of professional wrestling. The period drama project will mark departure from Bruckheimer TV's signature brand of procedurals.
Pro wrestling indeed gained huge popularity in the 1980s. Some of the most iconic figures who rose to stardom during the period include Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage aka Macho Man, and The Ultimate Warrior.
More The Rock News
- Megan Fox Steps Out for First Time Since Giving Birth to Her Third Child
- Amber Rose Says Julianne Hough Body Shamed Her With Her 'DWTS' Comment
- 'Wonder Woman' Writer Confirms Diana Prince Is 'Obviously' Bisexual
- Tyga May Have His Mom's Car Repossessed
- Get First Look at 'Outlander' Season 3
- Benedict Cumberbatch May Confirm Doctor Strange's Appearance in 'Thor: Ragnarok'
- Donald Trump Once Body-Shamed Kim Kardashian Too. This Is What He Said About Her
- Lena Dunham and Allison Williams Tearfully Say Goodbye to 'Girls' as Filming Wraps