Dwayne Johnson and Jerry Bruckheimer's Wrestling Drama Sold to NBC
Dwayne Johnson aka The Rock and Jerry Bruckheimer are teaming up with NBC to glorify the 1980s professional wrestling. Deadline reports that the network has commited to produce a pilot of the fictional drama from Bruckheimer TV with the wrestler-turned-actor serving as the executive producer along with "The Amazing Race" executive producer and Jonathan Littman.
"Look forward to teaming up with @THEROCK on exciting new wrestling project," Bruckheimer tweeted about their upcoming joint project. Johnson then chimed in, "Kickin' Ass! Excited to partner up w @BruckheimerJB & @NBC to create 1980's wrestling TV drama."
Seamus Kevin Fahey and Brent Fletcher are tapped to write the pilot which will focus on what is widely considered the golden age of professional wrestling. The period drama project will mark departure from Bruckheimer TV's signature brand of procedurals.
Pro wrestling indeed gained huge popularity in the 1980s. Some of the most iconic figures who rose to stardom during the period include Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage aka Macho Man, and The Ultimate Warrior.
More The Rock News
- Despite Chipped Tooth and Skin Rash, Kim Kardashian Has Lots of Fun at Las Vegas Party
- Comic-Con: Brie Larson Officially Named Captain Marvel
- Comic-Con: 'The Vampire Diaries' Announced to End With Season 8. How Fans React?
- After Breaking Down on Stage, Selena Gomez Posts Cryptic Message on Instagram
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers