'The Help' Tops Box Office, Knocking Down Four Newcomers
"The Help" rules the North American Box Office in its second week. The drama based on Kathryn Stockett's best-selling novel has added $20 million to its domestic gross, totaling $71.8 million sales after playing in theaters for 12 days.
Last week's chart-topper, "Rise of the Planet of the Apes", drops to the second position this weekend after dominating the chart for two weeks. The sci-fi film has raked in a total of $133.8 million by adding $16.1 million this weekend.
Meanwhile, "Spy Kids 4: All the Time in the World" has a weak start. Analysts predicted it would earn about $15 million, but the newcomer only lands on the third position with $11.6 million.
Another new release which fails to meet the expectation is "Conan the Barbarian". The Jason Momoa-starring adventure movie only raked $10 million. David Spitz, executive vice president of the film distribution said, "We're disappointed with the results, but I think box office in general was down this weekend."
*Rounding up the top five this weekend is "Fright Night" with $7.7 million in its debut week. The horror remake earned $2 million below expectations, although around 74% critics gave positive responses for the Craig Gillespie-directed film.
Another newcomer on the top ten is "One Day" which hangs low on the ninth place with only $5 million. The Anne Hathaway-starring romantic film also received resistance with only 27% of critics recommending it.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for August 19-21:
- "The Help" - $20 million
- "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" - $16.1 million
- "Spy Kids 4: All the Time in the World" - $11.6 million
- "Conan the Barbarian" - $10 million
- *"The Smurfs" - $7.8 million
- *"Fright Night" - $7.7 million
- "Final Destination 5" - $7.7 million
- "30 Minutes or Less" - $6.4 million
- "One Day" - $5 million
- "Crazy, Stupid, Love." - $4.7 million
- 'The Flash' Movie Eying 'Back to the Future' Director Robert Zemeckis
- Kris Jenner Is Banning Pepsi From Her House
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales' May Be Johnny Depp's Last Disney Film
- Meghan Markle Involved in Nazi and Satanism Scandal
- Caitlyn Jenner Is Saving Her Vagina for Mr. Right
- PARTYNEXTDOOR Unfollows Zayn Malik, Deletes All Trace of Their Collab on Social Media
- Paris Jackson Wants to Save 'Reclusive' Aunt Janet Jackson Amid Split From Wissam Al Mana
- Is Gigi Hadid Taking Her Diet Too Far? Her Extreme Weight Loss Raises Concern