Ashton Kutcher Will Not Be Investigated for Details Article
Ashton Kutcher has escaped federal investigation. The "Two and a Half Men" actor came close to land in hot water after failing to disclose investments he made in technology companies when he served as guest editor for a special issue of Details magazine dubbed "The Social Issue".
His failure drew the attention of the Federal Trade Commission. In a telephone interview with the New York Times, the agency's assistant director of advertising practices Richard Cleland pointed out, "If you're out there promoting individual products that you have a specific investment in, it needs to be disclosed."
"If you have a significant economic investment that is not otherwise apparent, that may potentially affect the credibility of your endorsement, and I see that as a potential problem," Richard elaborated his statement, and added, "It's certainly a possibility that a case like this could be investigated."
Coming to Ashton's defense was Details editor in chief Dan Peres. "If you read Ashton's editors letter, you'll see he succeeded in his mission to get people to talk about and even criticize this social issue," he said. "I stand by how we communicated Ashton's involvement with some of the companies included in our coverage and remain extremely proud of the work we did on this project."
Ashton himself has yet to comment on what could be potential problems when the FTC gave the husband of Demi Moore the clearance. A statement from Bureau of Consumer Protection Director David Vladeck that was issued on the agency's Twitter page read, "The FTC is not and has no plans to investigate Ashton Kutcher."
- Watch Music Video for Justin Bieber and DJ Khaled's New Collab 'I'm the One'
- Khloe Kardashian Hits Back at Hater Over Cuddly Pic With Scott Disick
- Angelina Jolie Throws Divorce Party
- 'Rob & Chyna' Filming Halted Because of Kris Jenner
- Harry Styles Announces First Solo World Tour
- Nick Cannon Is Still Close to Ex Mariah Carey but Says They're Not Sleeping Together
- Janet Jackson Is Swaying at Bruno Mars' Concert After Split
- Disney Star Michael Mantenuto Found Dead at 35 of Gunshot Wound