Selena Gomez to Host MTV VMAs Pre-Show, Cobra Starship to Perform
Selena Gomez has been chosen to host 2011 MTV Video Music Awards. The "Who Says" singer is going to interview celebrities and musicians walking down the black carpet rolled out in front of Los Angeles' Nokia Theatre on August 28.
"I am very excited to be a part of the 2011 VMAs! After all of my years watching the VMAs, the pre-show has always been one of my favorite parts. It is a true honor to be hosting from the black carpet this year," she gushed.
The young songstress will get help from some MTV personalities as well as fellow artist Cobra Starship. The Gabe Saporta-fronted band are going to perform Sabi-assisted dance track "You Make Me Feel".
"We are so excited to be a part of the 2011 VMAs! I grew up watching them every year and it was an honor to be nominated two years ago and it is an even bigger honor to be able to play the pre-show this year," said guitarist Ryland Blackinton. "I will never forget when Pat Smear left the Foo Fighters live during the pre-show, and I'm planning on having him replace me this year."
2011 MTV VMAs will be opened by Lady GaGa. Joining her on the performer list are Lil Wayne, Chris Brown, Adele, and Bruno Mars. The presenters, meanwhile, are Jonah Hill, Rick Ross, Selena Gomez, Seth Rogen, Kim Kardashian and Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All.
Two tributes have been prepared by MTV this year. One is going to salute Britney Spears and will likely get a dose of Michael Jackson, Madonna and Janet Jackson as the Southern Belle's music inspirations. The other is to remember MTV's "very near and dear" friend Amy Winehouse.
Days leading to the live telecast, MTV will reveal some behind-the-scene stories about last year's show in a special segment called "VMAs Revealed" which is airing this weekend. They will unveil stories behind Rihanna's red wig and Justin Bieber's outdoor performance among other things.
Teasing what to expect, MTV revealed that when Rihanna's wig arrived, it was orange, not red like she wanted it to be. Celebrity hairstylist Ursula Stephen said, "I'm telling you, bright orange, straight-up Nicki Minaj orange. And she's flipping out."
As for Bieber's outdoor performance, it was told that host Chelsea Handler was meant to stand at the front row holding a banner read, "Chelsea hearts Justin," but a throng of the Beliebers drowned her. "I think you can see her sign bobbing around, you just can't see her head," MTV News VP Ryan Kroft said.
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen
- Kanye West Sports Wedding Ring While Riding BMX Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Watch Hailee Steinfeld, Fifth Harmony and More Perform at the 2016 Billboard Women in Music
- Reese Witherspoon Teams Up With Nick Kroll for EDM Rendition of 'Shake It Off'
- 'Puff the Magic Dragon' Gets Live-Action/Animated Hybrid Movie
- Mila Kunis Shows Impressive Post-Baby Body After Giving Birth to Son Dimitri